500 Derek's Align 500e tail slider

Derek

So, i'm hoping by working on my rc's, maybe the better weather will come. I remembered from last year that the tail slider on my 500 had an issue.

Just like last year, I've taken the tail rotor off. I've been told and I've seen video of the tail unit being held sideways and the tail slider falls under it's own weight. Mine does not do this. Besides buying a new unit, is there a way that I can get the slider to fall under it's own weight?

Lee

You need to go through each moving part Derek. putting one piece back on at a time. Check its moving freely, then move on to the next piece.
By the end, you should have a free moving tail.

Derek

I had a bad feeling that you were going to say that, lol. Thanks Lee! I'll work on it. :lol:

pvolcko

In my experience, limited as it is, the most likely culprit are the screws/links holding the tail rotor arms to the slider. On some helis this is a pinned link connection and needs no adjustment/maintenance beyond a droplet of oil now and then and keeping dust and debris out of it. On others there are screws and bushings and you have to play with the screw tension and make sure there is no loctite in the bushing, in addition to cleaning maintenance.

Tony

Staff member
There are brass sleeves in the plastic links. Make sure the sleeves are not too tight in the plastic, adn that the brass is longer than the plastic is wide. And don't over torque the screws.

Ken Jackson

Over torque is the biggest problem I've had. When you have them right you will surely think they aren't tight enough. That's why the lock tite. And let it sit overnight.

Ken

Ken Jackson

Derek, I still have another EXI metal tail assembly like the one I sold you. I put the 500 Pro tail on my 500 so if you think you have something bent I'll hook you up with it. Cover the shipping and its yours.

Ken

Derek

Yeah man! Sounds good! PM me your Paypal account and let me know what you want for shipping costs. I'll take care of it.

Derek

Actually, I haven't touched it yet. I'm in the middle of a foam board biplane build. I'm nearly done with it so I'll be back on the 500 soon and then I want to finish up my 600. I bought a 450 frame and 3gx from Tony. I bought a bunch of new parts for it. Its all setup and ready to go.

Top Bottom