Projects Derek's 30" Profile Biplane

Derek

If you need any further numbers for the plans, Tony, just let me know. Maybe we can meet up on Skype and iron it out. In the meantime, I hope the forum issues can be worked out.

Tony

Staff member
I'm trying my best to get them worked out. And I will let you know if I need any other measurements. I know I have some questions on the tail feathers...

Derek

I am rather disappointed with the servos that I put on my biplane. I had some Detrum 9gram servos, from HobbyPartz.com, laying around. I bought them a while ago with intentions of doing another RCH Trainer but I never did. So, the servos had never been used, just sitting around. Along came my biplane project and I put the Detrum servos on the biplane. Well, that's all fine and dandy...until tonight. I started locating the cg and I was messing with this and that. Then I noticed that the elevator, although centered, was sitting low...as if giving an input to push the nose down. That's odd. So, I popped off the servo arm, recentered it, and started messing with the the plane again. Then I noticed that the rudder was sitting to the left. That's odd. Speeding the story up a bit...the servos had stripped. Unbelieveable!!! I would have been very disappointed if I had flown this plane and had that happen. Surely the plane would have crashed miserably.

Luckily...Hobby King to the rescue, lmao...I have some HXT900 servos here now. I think I have 13 of them now. These things are cheap and they have yet to let me down on these lil foamies. So, instead of cleaning up the garage, I'm tossing the Detrum servos and installing the HXT900's and getting everything recentered. Ugh!!!

Gerald

Sorry to hear about servo trouble, I know how you feel! I aparently got a real bad lot of tower pro 9gram units the wont stay centered for anything out of the 15 I got cheap from ebay 5 are just crap! I think they must be a china look-a-like or a new guy on the assembly line.

Tony

Staff member
Nice. Looked like it was a little nose heavy when you were doing the rolls, but a great maiden. Makes me want to get on those plans quickly lmao. I will get to it. I promise!

Derek

Awesome Derek. Handled the wind quite well.

I was very surprised at how well it flew, in general, but yes...it did handle the wind very well.

Nice. Looked like it was a little nose heavy when you were doing the rolls, but a great maiden. Makes me want to get on those plans quickly lmao. I will get to it. I promise!

I actually thought it flew a bit tail heavy but the biplane rolls more smooth than any of my other planes, lol. This plane will see the air again. Not anytime soon because I have to work a lot this coming week and there is quite a bit of rain in the forecast but you will see this plane again. I understand that you are busy with your personal life, Tony, so just work on the PDF plans when you can. I wish I had some "know-how" on how to do it, myself. This plane will be an awesome addition to anyone's hanger. I'll post a list of the electronics that I used.

wolfman76

I think I have a pdf file for free plans to my monster tensor 44" biplane if it is ok to post it tony or I could pm to you if you want to put in the store?

Gerald

WOOOOO HOOOOO! Love it! DEREK YOU DA MAN! That has got to be my first bipe! Congrats seriously! Very nice work and excellent maiden!

Derek

Thanks Gerald! I'm glad you enjoyed it! The flight was amazing! The biplane really has an awesome presence in the air and I was surprised that it doesn't have any really bad tendencies. It didn't really want to tip stall nor drop a wing tip. The glide slope was awesome! We'll get the plans together soon, I hope!

Tony

Staff member
I'm trying to get time in front of the computer, but everything else is keeping me from it. But I"m trying.

Derek

Thanks a lot, Graham! I was, and still am, very happy with this plane. Not only did it turn out to be a good looking plane but it flew very well and needed only a few clicks of trim on the ailerons and the elevator. Just awesome! I'm going to get a few different propellers and try them out. I have a 10x5 APC on the biplane now. We'll see more of this plane, for sure!!!

Tony

Staff member
Been working on the plans for about an hour. I have one wing started... This is going to take a while... Might want to start a thread on this lmao. ,

Tony

Staff member
It has been designed! But at the request of Derek, it will not be shown on here until he gives final approval. And just a warning, he is working this weekend so it will probably be Monday before you see it :chuckles:

I know what it looks like though :biggrin1:

Top Bottom