Projects Derek's 30" Profile Biplane

Derek

I learned a lot while building the RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane. I've wanted a biplane for quite some time but just never did anything about it.

I got talking with a guy at my local hobby shop. He's been shopping for a cheap profile biplane. He also knows about my foam board planes and has expressed a lot of excitement about them. I told him that I could probably build a biplane for him. We made an arrangement and I came home and started looking at profile biplane pictures. Got my foam board out and starting drawing up a rough draft. Well, let's speed the story up. I got the biplane done and I really liked it. I took the plane to him and he was very impressed and happy with it. I told him that I even liked it so much that I was going to build one for myself, lol.

Here is what I ended up with:

New Project Plane: 30" Profile BiPlane - YouTube

Derek

just got to thinking....how do I find the CG on a foamie biplane? Same method as usual? Do I hold it by the upper wing/lower wing and use the "1/3 wing chord" method?

Derek

That's what I thought, too. Thanks Tony! I didn't figure there would be much difference but I wasn't entirely sure.

Lee

For CG Derek. What i did with my Red baron Fokker DR1, was to think of the three wings as one.
I measured the CG as ⅓ back from the combined width of all three wings.
This worked out to be spot on.
Maybe i was just lucky, but it worked for me.

But yours look to be directly above each other, so shouldn't be any different than one wing as Tony said.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Planes like this fly with incidence. Meaning they will always have a slightly nose up orientation to create lift.

Tony

Staff member
As for CoG, I was going off my Bipe that i have here. The top wing sits forward of the lower wing, but it's still 1/3rd back on the top. Might be different with each plane though, not sure, I have only flown one bipe in my life.

Derek

Nice! I like it! PLANS PLEASE!

I'm working tonight and tomorrow night. I'll try to get some measurements sent to Tony so that he can work up some PDF plans and make them available in the RCH Store.

For CG Derek. What i did with my Red baron Fokker DR1, was to think of the three wings as one.
I measured the CG as ⅓ back from the combined width of all three wings.
This worked out to be spot on.
Maybe i was just lucky, but it worked for me.

But yours look to be directly above each other, so shouldn't be any different than one wing as Tony said.

Thanks Lee!

As for CoG, I was going off my Bipe that i have here. The top wing sits forward of the lower wing, but it's still 1/3rd back on the top. Might be different with each plane though, not sure, I have only flown one bipe in my life.

I'll get the electronics mounted this weekend and I'll take it out for the maiden and we'll just see where the CG falls. I'll be sure to report back so that the info can be added to the PDF plans.

Derek

Oh wow!!! What a rough weekend! Once again, no flying and only a bit of building. Ugh!

Although, I did manage to finish up the build of my Profile Biplane. Here is the video:

Derek's 30" Profile Biplane is completed - YouTube

I meant to get the measurements to Tony, this weekend so that he could make up some PDF plans for the forum members, if they were interested. Unfortunately, "life" interfered and I didn't get it done. I'll get the measurements to Tony this week (I hope) and hopefully the plans will be available at the RCH Store real soon.

Tony

Staff member
I just wanted to update this thread since it didn't make it through the transition. I have some images of the plane that Derek wants me to create and I will be working on those. Priorities come first though, and one of the top priorities is getting this forum back running smooth again. I'm trying guys. I even have vbulletin helping on this one because I just can't seem to find the issue.

I will try to get these plans out there as soon as I can.

Top Bottom