Decisions

murankar

Staff member
Tonight I find myself at a cross roads in my life. I have an opportunity that I have to decide on in the next 90 days. As some of you know I am in the U.S. Army, something I am passionate about, I cant express the feelings I get when I talk about the one thing I hold near and dear to my heart; the Constitution of the United States. I took an oath to up hold a document that governs our way of life. I know this sounds political but its not I am posting this in the main forum for all to read in lieu of the supporters area so I can get advice from all.

In 90 or so days I will be eligible for re-enlistment and with this comes many great things for not only me but my family. This life, as a soldier is a hard one not just for me but my family. I have one thing that not many people can say they have, a secure job with benefits. I have three options right now; one is re-enlist active duty or second re-enlist for reserves or the third is to get out totally. If I stay active I have over 10 years till retirement with the benefits to start on day one, reserves I have under 10 years till retirement and collect at age 65. If I get out totally I get nothing.

My in-laws have fallen ill, not terribly but ill none the less. They have offered us their house if we come home and in return we help them with their daily lives, which I have no problem with. If I take this offer I will need a job of course and so will the wife but I will have the help of the in-laws with the kids. I may be able to sell whats left of my car and reduce some debt, it's payed by the way.

I am thinking that going home would be the best option right now. What I need help on is do I go reserves or get out totally. If I stay in I may run into some issues with my job in the arrmy. long story short i could make something work but not sure. with anything in life there are no certainties and thing could go for the worse and at the same time things could go right. I don't know I am on the fence right now.

Hey Uri, sounds like there is a lot of issues going on at the moment, and like you said some very tough decisions to be made.
As for help in deciding, I'm probably not going to help here, as I don't know what the armed services are like. I wanted to make it into the services, but sadly I missed out. However I do know what it's like to have the parents issue. If it were me, I would be taking the option that allows me to be able to help/be with family. Maybe that makes it reserves, or out altogether. Or can you go active again, and find a post closer to home?

murankar

Staff member
thank you! Its a tough choice. Military equals stress to the highest. I want to help everyone I can so I know that is the route. How to do it is the hard part. I am a career soldier at this point and with the time I have left to serve it just makes sense to attempt to finish. On the other hand the freedom that I get if I stop entirely. Bottom line up front I guess is the retirement aspect of the job.

murankar

Staff member
At this point nothing. I have to start looking for work now. I have just over a year to look. My education benefits will pay quit well for 14 months so I could finish my degree and still have money for living. I would not be paying rent that soon but I will need to get something that can pay fr a house. that may not be for a few more years yet. Not sure what the inlaws have in mind in regards to working. I know the dad will not be working much longer maybe 3 or 4 more years, the mom about the same. Its tough not knowing all the details as of yet. This was just told to me yesterday and have not had a lot of time to think about much. I am just looking for some quick ideas so I can see what plan I can come up with. I like to have a half a plane in place then refine as I go.

Yeah I can understand that... It's not easy.
Mate I'll keep you in my thoughts as you try and work out what you are going to do... mate here as sounding board if needed.
Go with your gut/heart
Wish I could help...

Cheers, I'm sure you'll keep it all in your mind, and you'll take care of your family, they are the ones who are usually always there for you

Karubah

There comes a time when you have to make a life changing decision that affects you and your family. These decisions I think are best made talking it through with your partner and kids and other close family as it can have a big affect on them as well. It seems that you have a bit of time up your sleeve to come up with the right path that you need to take in the journey of life. Whatever decision you make you will no doubt make the right one. All the best to you and your family in your future Matthias. Cheers Andy

Last edited:

callsign4223

Staff member
That's a tough decision Matt. I tried to enter the Guard and was turned away for medical reasons. Both my parents served and my dad was medically retired. I know the retirement check and VA benefits have helped him out immensely. Without knowing you better I couldn't really help you with this decision, but I will pray for you to make the best decision you can.

stokke

I can only wish you good luck on this one Matthias, as I have no insight in US military employment or civilian employment for that matter.

murankar

Staff member
thank you everone,

I am for sure coming off active duty as of right now. As for the reserves there are many ????? to answer. If it goes the way i think it will I will completely done on Sept 21 2014. Now to figure out the civilian side of work.

murankar

Staff member
Well good news, I can go back to the reserves and finish my career and retire. I was concerned that I would have all this time invested for nothing and low and be hold I can finish out. now to start looking for a civilian job.

murankar

Staff member
Things are looking up. Come march time frame I will be starting on my transition back to Ohio. It looks like I will be heading back around mid august.

Lots more planning ahead.

Karubah

Great to hear you have it sorted. I know very little about the military, do you come out with any qualifications that transfer to civilian life that will help you get a job?

Great work Matt. that's what you wanted, and sounds like what's going to be best for family and everything.
Good luck with it bro

Top Bottom