Dan's Wot 4 foam-e Flights.

danhampson

Well today was the day for the maiden and my first ever fix wing flight. There was a very small amount of wind (2-3mph) which picked up near the end of my second battery as you will see at around 5 min 20. I did fly another pack but the battery in my camera was flat.

Ive not added any trim to the TX she seemed to fly straight and true without any trim, but what do i know.

The first half of the footage is recorded from head cam (pack #1) and the second half is from on top of the wings (pack #2), with this being my first ever fixed wing flights the aim of the game was to work on final approach, glide path and landing.

wot 4 foam e maiden - YouTube

All in all i really enjoyed it and was really getting to grips with it by the end of the third battery, im looking forward to getting some more flights in very soon.

Tony

Staff member
Instead of actually landing and having to go get it, do some touch-n-goes. Once your gear touches the ground, throttle back up and take off again. This is how I practice my approach. Great flying though!

Tony

Staff member
If you have it setup correctly, you can get away with that. However, the only way to check it is to put it at about 50%-75% throttle and just let go of the sticks. That will tell you. If you did get it setup right, great.

danhampson

Thanks again Tony. i will check that when i fly her again. so @ 50-75% throttle should i have straight and level flight?

Lee

Looks good Dan.
The tip over on the first landing is quite common with some models.
keeping a bit of throttle on when landing keeps this from happening.
Reason being, with no power, the drag from the wheels slows the plane down too quick, and the weight of the motor and battery make it tip forward.
Just a touch of throttle, for a second as you land cancels this out.

Admiral

Great flights Dan you've nailed it from the start, I started on planes and spent weeks on a buddy box before I could solo about 30 years ago.

danhampson

Thanks Keith.

Ive watched the video back loads of times and the wing cam really makes me fancy flying one FPV, What have i started???? (wallet screaming in the background)

Ken Jackson

Looks good Dan. I'm having trouble getting my VisionAire back flying since I cracked the fuselage in half. Don't mind flying in the wind but until I get it dialed in again I'm just gonna fly my helis and wait for a very calm day. I really like flying both planes and helis.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

I found not letting go of the elevator completely on landing helps with the tip over thing. Same on take off, have the elevator back slightly as you power up.

Tony

Staff member
with a tail dragger, it's almost required to keep the elevator pulled at all times when on the ground. Otherwise, it's going to nose over. And, you want that extra weight on the tail wheel so you can turn.

danhampson

I got a couple of flights in today between the rain showers, the wind was the strongest ive flown the wot 4 in around 8-10 mph had a blast.

Strting to get the hang of landing and putting the bird where i want it, I did some loops and roll but the rolls were just out of shot.

this was the first of 2 flights, the second flight will be uploaded tomorrow, hope you all enjoy.

Wot 4 foam-e - YouTube

Ken Jackson

Looking good Dan. I like the plane. I just looked up the specs on it and it is just a hair larger then my VisonAire. That first touch down was absolutely perfect. The one near the end looked more like my landings.

Great weather here I'm hoping to get a couple flights in this evening.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed you've been flying planes more lately. I went through that phase. Helis cost to much to crash. Foamies can take quite a bit more. I like flying both and intermixing things I can do with the plane with the heli.

danhampson

thanks ken. planes are a new thing for me, and im really loving it. Im finding that there not as mentally taxing as heli's and there are the crash cost as well.

At the moment im looking in to getting a 3d plane around the 40"ish size, Ive simming like a mad man (put about 30hrs in over the last week) while im off work.

The Wot 4 is a fantastic plane but i do wish i had gone for a 3d capable plane so that i could grow into it. I just give me an excuse to get another build on the go.

so far my short list for 3d plane are precision aerobatics addiction or mini katana or 3dhobbyshop 41" edge or 42" AJ Slick they are all about the same size and use the same size motor, servos, esc and batteries.

Stambo

I noticed you've been flying planes more lately. I went through that phase. Helis cost to much to crash. Foamies can take quite a bit more. I like flying both and intermixing things I can do with the plane with the heli.

I also have just started flying planes, and really enjoying it (when the weather allows).
With quads, planes and FPV taking all my flying time the Trex 500 is gathering dust. :)

Top Bottom