600 Dampers 550E DFC V3 (600 HEAD)

Bruno

What is the consensus/recommendations for the best dampers for 3D?
Particularly, stock damper versus the KBDD EXTREME GREEN dampers.
KBDD Damper - Flybarless & Very Extreme 3D - Lime - TRex 600 (4112) - HeliDirect -- Best Customer

KBDD has a blue set also. KBDD Damper - Extreme Edition for hard 3D - Blue - TRex 600 (4111) - HeliDirect -- Best Customer

Seems the blue is for FB and the lime for FBL.
KBDD advertises "progressive dampening" suggesting the composite conforms to flying style/responses.

How do you determine how "hard" of a damper to use.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Depends on your fbl system. Some units like a slightly softer than hard and others don't care.

The more harder the 3d my harder the dampener. Now this is just a base line, it will depend on the feel you want. If they are fairly inexpensive I would get a firm set and a slightly softer set and see how they feel. Its going to be a bit of trial and error.

I wouldn't go for the hardest ones off the bat.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Unless you beating the ever living crap out of it then you won't.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

totoheat

I have in my 550 DFC the stock Dampers and around 45 flies and I just notice a radial play when you hold tip of blade up and down you can see it am not sure how much play should be there I was thinking to replace them for the KBDD Lime unless this play is normal

pvolcko

Probably need replacing. They are a wear item. There will be some up and down movement. It should not be loose, though. And amount of play should be minimal on a dfc head.

Bruno

I have in my 550 DFC the stock Dampers and around 45 flies and I just notice a radial play when you hold tip of blade up and down you can see it am not sure how much play should be there I was thinking to replace them for the KBDD Lime unless this play is normal

I had radial play with stock dampers at the onset. That play can cause damage/bearing damage/breakage to the DFC links.
I think the radial play damaged the grip outer bearings. This caused a gritty feel with DFC link movement.
I replaced with the KBDD LIME and I now I have zero radial play.
I replaced the grip bearings and now there is zero gritty feel with tight feathering shaft bolts.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
PLease make sure to use the right grease in the dampeners. Not to use lubricating oil thats silicon based.. or any oil as such. The dampeners will swell up, make a death grip on your feathering shaft, and never let the feathering shaft center out in flight.. causing vibes and such. use a lithium based grease that wont eat your dampener.

use a good lubricant in your thrust bearings, and pack them well too :)

I love KBDD dampeners. too hard will cause very fast response. depends on your flying style.

no play is good. but the feathering shaft should be able to slide in and out easy.. thats important.

Last edited:

Bruno

PLease make sure to use the right grease in the dampeners. Not to use lubricating oil thats silicon based.. or any oil as such. The dampeners will swell up, make a death grip on your feathering shaft, and never let the feathering shaft center out in flight.. causing vibes and such. use a lithium based grease that wont eat your dampener.

use a good lubricant in your thrust bearings, and pack them well too :)

I love KBDD dampeners. too hard will cause very fast response. depends on your flying style.

no play is good. but the feathering shaft should be able to slide in and out easy.. thats important.

Good to know about feathering shaft movement. I use either Align OWB grease or Triflo lithium grease on either the thrust bearings or dampers.

cml001

I have switched from thunder tigers black grease to boto lube... So far so good, anyone else used boto? When I set up the head I lube the shaft, the dampers, and of course the thrust.. Curious how the rest of u lube it up... Hehehe, I said lube

Top Bottom