Damn Harley's

trainrider06

As if I didn't have enough crap to do!
Tore down bike to check wear on timing chain tensioners, I knew I had some minimal wear going on, so wanted to check to make sure they were not ground down to a nub.
They still look good with minimal wear! Yeah! So I can delay the $$$$ money to fix the damn things hopefully till the fall. But while taking everything off I noticed one of my studs had snapped off that hold the crossover pipe on for the exahaust! #%*#!
So there's a couple hundred!
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

trainrider06

Oh no this baby don't leak! See the little orange thing in the photo of the engine.....$1,500 hundred bucks to fix that little orange timing chain tensioner, that is a plastic part! :(

holtneil

Hi Rodney sorry to here all your bad luck at the moment , has the part got to be plastic , may be better if it can be custom made of metal sorry dont know Harleys , had to give up bikes before I could get my hands on one

trainrider06

Hi Neil, actually these tensioners have done a lot better than some have, I have 34,000 miles on this thing some have had em wear out within 5,000 miles! This is just a design they have I guess, the problem seems no one can agree if it's a flawed design, bad batch of tension springs, or what. They did change the design in 07 I think to hydraulic tensioners. So probably a bad design. They also shortly came out with an upgrade, that included hydraulic tensioner system, and a better oil pump, for a minimal cost of $500 dollars more! So in order for me to upgrade to that it would run $2,000 dollars more! All I know is I have owned many Honda's, and Kawasaki's and never had to sink that much cash into them! These bikes require a lot more attention, and money to maintain, that's for sure!

Top Bottom