Daddy Got A New Toy!

cml001

Ok... Yesterday.. Skateboard'n the ramp with the homies and knock'n a few back.. My buddy & I are talk'n.. catch'n up as I haven't seen him in bout month.. Talk'n work crap and family stuff.. My interest(Helis/rc) comes up. Now his boss is also an old friend from the way back... They work for an advertising firm... Tells me that the guys fly'n the multi rotor(also a friend and hobby shop employee) can't do it much anymore due to his work, school, etc... So what do u think I said... "I'll fly the damn thing! All hang out/beer talk.. U kno how it goes when the fellas get together. Well at work today I get a call and can't answer it(no phones on the plant floor).. So later I sneak off & check my messages and return the call.. He want me to fly for him.. Realestate, golf course ads, beach house rentals, etc... FREAK'N SCORE! I pick up the mutirotor Monday to play with it and know it before a shoot.. So it's not really my new toy.. But I'll be one of two guys that are allowed to touch it.. AWESOME!!! And get paid for it...AWESOME'R!!! Think I need to re-read all this FAA crap over the weekend.

murankar

Staff member
Right now its illigal to do just the very thing. As long as no money changes hand your fine untill the interpretation is implemented. Once thats done it doesnt matter if its a free gig or not, fpv will be illegal in the states.

The only flights you'll be able to do are line of sight and no image capturing. There are others that are more informed than i so wait and see what they say.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

It is *not* illegal. The faa doesn't like it and have fined people. The one case that got taken to court they have so far lost (pending appeal). The interpretive rule is pending and not yet in effect and thus not binding. As long as you have permission of the property owner and you're not flying over unprotected people, go for it. Ideally the owner of the biz has some liability insurance too to cover any mishaps should they occur.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm speaking federally here. States may have their own laws about this.

cml001

Got the job!.. That pays nut'n(cough cough).. Headed to Charleston SC Wednesday for my first shoot... Very stable hexa.. Like it a lot... But they don't know how they have it programmed.. So I'm having to trial and error all transmitter functions... At hold mode, gps, return to home.. A serious concern but I'll get it before the shoot. They have been doin it weird.. Pilot doesn't use the fpv... Camera guy does and directs the pilot.. Suggested a splitter so both could.. Even tho outta eye sight is rare.. Altitude may require it.. Anyhow excited... 1st time I've been excited about work in years!

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Make sure you have a live feed also. It will help the director to explain what he wants because you can see what he sees. Plus in case the hexa gets out of sight you still have visual.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom