General Cyclic Servos ????

treff

Does anyone know which way up the cyclic servos go on the HK450gtPro2 helicopter. According to the Align drawings it is with the servo arms facing upwards but when I fit them this way they just do not operate correctly. No matter how I change the swashplate mix or how I reverse the servos I can not get the elevator to work correctly. It will go in the right direction but the swash is way to far up the mast. All the linkages are of the correct length so It is not that. The only thing I can think off is that the servos are fitted with the arms facing or closest to the bottom of the heli. Does anyone have a picture of the above heli so that I may see the orientation. Thanks in advance. This is the last try for a few weeks before I'm off on me hols so any help would be appreciated. I also did set all the arms to 90 degrees before starting. Cheers Guys.

DAL2855

Banned
I have this same kit and on mine, the elevator servo arm faces towards the front of the heli and the other two face toward the tail of the heli. They should be at level with the swashplate, not at 90 degrees of the servo like you would typically see them installed. They should be level with the ground. Hope this helps!

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at these photos, this is my installation:

Elevator servo

Snapshot_20130423_3_zpsb2b11087.jpg

Pitch Servo

Snapshot_20130423_2_zpsbbc7aa07.jpg

Aileron Servo

Snapshot_20130423_4_zps1e3c3c8c.jpg

Snapshot_20130423_3_zpsb2b11087.jpg

Snapshot_20130423_2_zpsbbc7aa07.jpg

Snapshot_20130423_4_zps1e3c3c8c.jpg

treff

Thanks DAL2855 for your reply but I am still not so I have enclosed a picture. Is this right or wrong because no matter what I do I can not get the servos to work properly. What Swashplate mix do you use all positive or a mix of positive and negative. ThanksServo Install.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dal2855 thanks for the pics but it looks like a different helicopter with your servos being installed from the side. as you can see from my pic two of the cyclic servos are installed from the front. First I would like to know is are they installed the right way up? If any one would like to chip in I would appreciate the input. Thanks.

Servo Install.jpg

Last edited:

DAL2855

Banned
Sometimes, you may have to change in the mix and do one positive and two negative or vice versa. You have to just pay attention to which way each servo is travelling when you try to move the collective. Know which servo is plugged into Aileron and which one is plugged into the Pitch/aux channel, then adjust their positive or negative accordingly so that it moves correctly. Mine has two negative and 1 positive. It just all depends on what the RX and Servo see as positive movement and negative movement.

Slobberdog

Treff the way you have your servos is the correct way, if your swash is moving up or down with the correct up or down movement on the stick and all three servos at the same time then your swash mix is set correctly, you could end up with one value negative and two values positive, can you put a video together showing your stick movement and swash movement as this will help us help you easier

treff

Thanks Slobberdog. Yes I have now have movement working the correct way but I just can not get a full throw on the elevator. I still can not work it out. Anyway thanks for the help. I have disconnected all the push rods from the swash but still can not get the full throw. Oh well, something to think about on me hols. Cheers thanks for all your help along with DAL2855 very much appreciated from both of you. Cheers

DAL2855

Banned
No problem glad we could be of assistance. You also might take a look at EPA's on your TX too. Make sure they are at 100% of throw!

Slobberdog

Treff might sound like a daft question are you using dual rates and do you have it in idle up position so you will get full collective

treff

Thanks both. Yes tried all those things. I am beginning to wonder if the TX is at fault. I ran a few quick tests and there is something not right. I disconnected the gyro to make doubly sure I had 90 degrees on the arm. I reset it, switched the TX off then back on again and the servo arm came back to a different place. This is a new Align digi servo. I tried another servo hitec analogue and the same thing happens. Set for 9o degrees to the servo case, switch off the TX then back on again and servo arm changed and also no full throw. So, I think I have found the problem and the TX is faulty. I will have another look when I get back. It is still in gaurantee Thanks again for the help.

Might ask the question that I stuffed up with, have you made sure that one of the two front servos have been plugged into the RX correctly? I think it should be 6 off the top of my head.
I know i didn't pay enough attention to that and ended up with the swash doing weird things and couldn't get it to work properly, and after frying a cheap servo, worked out what I was doing wrong.
Just a thought

treff

Well Lee you hit the nail on the head. In a very last try to find out what was going on I find that 2 of the new servos do no work correctly . One works partially and on does not work at all. Who would have thought. You buy cheap and you end up paying twice. I can not believe that such a popular hobby puts up with such shoddy crap goods and these are not from HK. I am going on holiday but on return I think I will be doing something different for a pass time. Learning to fly rc helicopters is difficult, trying to negotiate the ripoff merchants is even harder. Is it worth the Hassle? I don't think so. I have more important things to do with my time.

orbi

Hi mate im new but i was always told when u set up first, pick the odd man out the servo thats not working with the other 2 on the cyclic. Adjust TX setting in swash mix 60% to plus or minus the offending servo , then after this go to reverse and alter it there until you get them working right. well thats how i do mine and theyre fine. the linkage arms are 32.5mm centres aprox. on front servos this should put the swash plate in the middle of the throw and at the zero point of pitch. this is the point where you check for 0 pitch and level the swash etc. I found that the subs needed 49 cliicks so I adjusted the link rods it is 13 clicks to one full revolution I know that.! done it often enough myself. so I just turned the rod 4 times to get a difference of 3 clicks and set the sub trim to 3. the swash leveller will hit one point on the swash ail or pitch so that will be 0 and work the rest around from there.. well thats what I did anyway. see Tonys set up vids theyre all on there mate.

- - - Updated - - -

had the same prob yesterday Treff..... I went through 4 servos all broke tabs off, I found that the elev servo on a 450 Pro will hit the round corner of the framewhere the main shaft goes through. I didnt notice it at first because it was slight, but yep the tab was not sitting flat against the frame and I kept breaking servo tabs. I bought a new Dremel tool( fabulous for this work) and it went in a dream. Do not use inserts or rubber washers , grommets or anything behind the servo tab. just a bolt ! I bought a M2.5 tap and plug and retapped the holes to 2.5 mm to take the larger bolt. works an absolute dream, well worth the effort. I would never use an M2 bolt again unless I was forced into it somewhere. I also had bad servos that didnt work. Took me ages and pots of cash to realize that Futaba have it, then perhaps Savox but buy good servo s once( metal gear ) and they will last. if you break a tab you can get replacement caps!. Never throw away an old servo ! good luck on your hol

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldnt buy an Align servo if you paid me. The tabs are crap. Do not over tighten these they will break. check servo link balls ,should be 12.5 mm from servo centre. and on the tail should be 7mm max ! as it makes the tail twitchy and over sensitive. Ive seen guys with the tail servos set with the ball on the END of the horn !!....

Top Bottom