Cutting Acrylic, Holy Crap...

Tony

Staff member
You know, I have done a lot in my life from working on cars, to driving for a living. to aquariums to Rc and so on. One thing I have never done is played with acrylic. I have always wanted to, just could never afford it.

Well with this new aquarium, that is going to change. Or should I say, it is changing. Friday, the wife, kids and I went up to a plastics place in OKC and we purchased 3 sheets of 1/4" clear acrylic so that I could play around with it. Yup, my wife is that awesome lol. I'm going to be making a sump for my aquarium that better fits the stand. The one that came with the tank is a bio-ball sump, and I HATE bioballs. The one that I'm running right now I only paid $50 and I didn't even argue with the guy over the price. These things go for $250 EACH!$200 off for a sump that had a VERY small crack at the top that he fixed the correct way? Hell YEAH!

Well, I was happy then with it, but I'm not happy now about it. What changed you ask? It's the "stuff" that I have now. I didnt' have AnY of it when I got the sump, and it was plenty big enough for my needs. But now, I need something bigger. With my return pump (that is being upgraded to a larger one) to my HUGE skimmer, to the fuge that I had to take out of it because of the skimmer, it just needs to be bigger. See the picture in the next post to see the sump I'm running now, and the one out in the cellar with the bio-balls that I will NEVER run.

The sump I have now is 30x12(f-b)x16(H). The one that I'm going to build will be 40Lx15Dx18H. That will give me a total size of 46.75 gallons in the sump alone. Could I add more? Yup. But I'm not going to. I will keep the tank about half full when it's running, so that would give me a total of about 23 gallons of water, plus my 90 that's in the tank. Right now, I'm running about 10 gallons under the tank in the sump. In fact, the total volume of my current sump is 24.94 gallons and I'm running at just shy of half full. so as you can see, I'm about to double the size of my sump, hehe.

So I have been looking at a lot of different sump designs and they all have one thing in common, they all flow from one side to the other. Well, that is just wasted space IMO. Yes, you can fit some big stuff in there, but why make your sump flow in one direction with a constant water flow all the time. If you know anything about refugiums, you know that you can't go blasting a river through there, nothing will survive that is good for your tank. so you have to slow it down.

so what design did I settle with? Well, none of them. I'm going to use one of the designs that I found for the basic layout, but I'm going to change it up a bit by reversing where the inlet is and where the pump will sit. Right now it's on the right, I want it on the left. The intake to the sump that is. But, I LOVE the idea of putting a flow control off of the return pump to feed the fuge. That way you can control how much you want going in and out of the fuge. And since I'm going from a 950 gallon per hour (GPH) pump to a 1200GPH pump, I have the extra volume to supply the fuge like that.

Okay, so back to the acrylic. I picked up 3 4x8 sheets (48"x96") and decided that I wanted to do everything myself. I think I made a mistake lol. My table saw is quite small and trying to slide a 48x96x1/4" sheet of acrylic by your self is not going to happen, and two people can't keep it straight enough. so I told the wife, load up, we're heading to Walmart! Went there and got me a new saw. Came home (after buying more crap, you can't go into walmart without spending a bill. YOu go in for Q-Tips and walk out with $800 worth of crap...) and put the blade on. once in the garage, I clamped down my guide, fired up the saw that was MUCH quieter than my old one (and I mean old, like 1940's old. Craftsman, ALL metal, no safety, but the base is loose. too loose to use on a guide). I started to cut and holy crap, I was getting pelted with a crap ton of little shards of death. Yup, that reminded me I didn't have safety glasses on lmao. Got those, started again and had to stop about 1/4 the way through it. Cutting this crap is friggin LOUD!!! But, I cut the rest of the piece.

I checked it with a straight edge, and sure enough, it was not straight. Didn't figure it would be with a hand saw, that is what the table saw is for. so I setup the fence on the table saw and ran it through. That was a mistake. Low tooth count, blade was too high (didn't know...) and there are HUGE chunks taken out of this piece. Okay, that didn't work so well. Just about that time, the heater ran out of diesel and it's about 30ºF outside so the garage is getting cold FAST. I look at the wife, sat the saw down and we came inside.

so I have two options. Both are expensive but one is proven to get good results. First, I can go to Lowes and purchase a high tooth count carbide blade. I'm talking 80+ teeth. I now know that I need to keep the blade pretty low to it's hitting it at a much steeper angle and not just ripping down through it like it did. The blade is $60+ depending on how good it is. Plus gas, which isn't much seeing as it's about a 60 mile round trip.

Next option, I go back and pay a nominal fee and just have the pros cut all fo the pieces to my specs. If they don't get it right, they have more acrylic to work with, I don't. They can even use a router on the edges and get them ready to be glued (with solvent) together. This is the MUCH easier way, but I don't know what their "fee" is, and we just went up to about a 100 mile round trip. And in a truck that gets 16mpg, it could add up. But, it's going to be perfectly cut on a table saw that is made for this.

So that is where I am now. Covered in plastic after only a couple cuts, ears still ringing (will wear ear plugs next time...) and a scrap 15x48" piece sitting in my shop with chips in it. I will use this for smaller projects, but still, it sucks. Anyway, I'm trying to figure this out as well as everything else. Just a day in the life of ME! lmao.

Here is the sump I'm using as a "kinda" template.

CRYS36E.jpg

See next post for the sumps I own and are going to sell to help pay for my screw-up's that I'm making trying to learn acrylic lmao.

CRYS36E.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Here is the bioball sump
20130322_232257.jpg

And here is my current sump.
1364117339633.jpg1364117284855.jpg

And a full front shot of my stand.
1364117428325.jpg

20130322_232257.jpg

1364117284855.jpg

1364117339633.jpg

1364117428325.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing. Arms and all. Might have to paint it though. It's hard to see "clear" hahaha.

Tony

Staff member
Well I'm hoping to get some work done on the new sump this weekend. I'm going to go today and get new blades for my saws so that I can cut this a little better with no chipping. I also found my brand new router bits that I purchased a LONG time ago, so now I don't have to buy new round-over bits, or straight bits, or flush cutting bits like I thought I was going to have to do. This will save me a LOT of money seeing as they are about $25 each.

I'm hoping I can get the sump built this weekend, and install it next weekend. Why not install it this weekend? Because I have to let the acrylic cure for 24 hours, then I have to leak test it. If it leaks, I have to pull out the solvent and seal it up. If the leak is big, then I will have to use the weld-on 16 that is used for large spaces. Hopefully, I can cut the pieces close enough to not need this.

I think I am going ot start out by making a probe holder first just to test things out. If I can get that done without bubbles, then I know I will be able to get the sump built without any issues.

Stay tuned, there will be a lot going on. I will be creating a new thread for the sump build. I think it will be a lot of fun.

wolfman76

you know tony we use to cut acrylic where i use to work all the time granted it was likehalf inch to 3 quarter inch thick like 1,000 for 1 4'x8' sheet.. well i used a jig saw with a blade on it called a pirahna blade it is gold it is used for cutting acryliccut it very smoothly...still have a piece of the acrylic left too will take side shot when i get a chance with ruler next to it for reference to thickness we used it at work for the furnace dept.. forklift as front shields against molten alluminum berries...

Tony

Staff member
I thought about using a jigsaw, but I needed much straighter cuts than that can produce.

the wife and I went out and purchased a 40T 7 1/2" blade for my new circular saw (carbide) and we also picked up an 80T 10" Carbide for my table saw. I will see if I can get some work done to the sump today, but with as busy as I have been, I'm finding the time very hard to come by. Don't believe me, read the post in the Lounge under "You Log In, You Post In Here". I did a full write up on my day in there.

More to come.

murankar

Staff member
IF you clamp a straight edge to the cutting surface you should be fine. Thats how I used to cut straight lines with my circular saw.

Tony

Staff member
That is exactly what I did and the reason I picked up the new saw. The old one is older than I am, hell it's older than anyone I know lmao. The foot on it is not straight to the blade, so there was no way I could cut straight with it. So, I picked up the new one.

It came with a steel blade and for a crap blade, it did well in cutting the acrylic. However the cut was ugly and needed a LOT of work, and was not straight. I suspect this was caused by the blade not being all that sharp. The new Carbide blade will fix that. And I also found out that I was cutting WAY too deep. So, I will be bringing the blade up and only cutting about 1/2" deep, or double the thickness.

And that brings me to what's going on now.

I could not help it, but at 0100 this morning, I had to do something before I fell asleep standing up. What did I do? I put the 80T blade on my table saw so that I could test it. Now, this blade is from harbor freight and being from China, I stood to the side when I fired it up lmao. I was just waiting for it to toss a tooth off of it. But, it didn't.

The 15x48" scrap that I totally jacked up was the lucky SOB that I was going to use to test this new blade. Like the circular saw, I set the depth to about double the thickness and gave the blade more bite to the acrylic. Meaning a steeper angle. And let me tell you, I almost cut this thing good enough that it would need NO work. Well, almost. It still needs work and sadly the router table I have is not that big. So I will have to somehow incorporate my router into my table saw. Not a hard thing to do, just takes time which I don't have.

So I know it will cut, now lets see how this weld-on works.

I put a little in the needle bottle, put two pieces of scrap together and holy crap, it was almost perfect. And on my first try. Upon further inspection, I noticed some bubbles which are bad. I'm trying to find a way to stop this and like flying heli's, it will take time. I had one piece that was very rough and I used the weld-on 16 and it filled the gap perfectly. So if I do have a mistake, I can cover it up with this stuff.

This is going to be a lot of fun building the sump and I cant' wait to start it. But first, I have to figure out how in the hell I'm going to cut these sheets lmao. I need a bigger table saw with an air table hehe.

Top Bottom