Current Limiter

Hector Rivera

I am going to connect two power supplies in series, to get 24 volts 800 watts. I have a iCharger X6 and the current limit input is 30 amps. Do I need to have a 30 amp fuse on the positive input or should I use a current limiter? Thanx for your help and time.

Smoggie

Neither. The charger will only take what it needs, up to a limit of 30A after which it takes no more. The only thing you must check is the voltage supply is within the range of the charger, and in this case you are fine because the X6 takes up to 32V. As long as voltage is within limits you could connect it to a 10,000W power supply and the charger would be perfectly happy, it just takes the power it needs.

Smoggie

PS.. One important consideration is that if connecting two power-supplies in series you have to 'float the ground' on the second power supply. If you dont know what this means then probably the safest thing is not to do it yourself because playing with HV electrics is dangerous.

In a nutshell, 'floating the ground' means isolating the negative DC output of the power supply from the ground connection of the AC power input. If you dont do that bad things will happen when you connect it up because the negative DC terminal of the second supply will be raised to 12V by the output of the first supply, which causes a dead short to the AC ground connection.

murankar

Staff member
IF your going to fuse the power it would be a 40 amp fuse. The only reason I suggest it is in case you lose a power supply. This will cause a voltage drop which in turn creates an Amp spike.

A few years back Junsi did not build any protection for this in to their chargers. Coolice when he built cases he had circuit protection added to his build to protect the chargers.

Hector Rivera

PS.. One important consideration is that if connecting two power-supplies in series you have to 'float the ground' on the second power supply. If you dont know what this means then probably the safest thing is not to do it yourself because playing with HV electrics is dangerous.

In a nutshell, 'floating the ground' means isolating the negative DC output of the power supply from the ground connection of the AC power input. If you dont do that bad things will happen when you connect it up because the negative DC terminal of the second supply will be raised to 12V by the output of the first supply, which causes a dead short to the AC ground connection.
I floated all of the grounds and now the power supply does not give me 12 volts anymore. The power supply shuts off, after it turns on.

RandyDSok

I did float one PSU. Its a DPS-460BB. What are the points to float?

In your previous post you said you floated all the grounds.... which would mean you did it on all PSU's ....

I'm not familiar with the schematics for that PSU... so I can't help on that... just clear up why Uri thought you did both PSU's

Top Bottom