1. Guest, Thank you for visiting Rc-Help. Please do NOT post tech questions in this section, post them in the Tech section instead. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  3. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  4. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Current Limiter

Discussion in 'RC-Help Lounge' started by Hector Rivera, Jun 25, 2020.

< My New Project | Help To Find The Best Rc Car Below 100 Dollars >
  1. Hector Rivera

Hector Rivera New Member

I am going to connect two power supplies in series, to get 24 volts 800 watts. I have a iCharger X6 and the current limit input is 30 amps. Do I need to have a 30 amp fuse on the positive input or should I use a current limiter? Thanx for your help and time.

2. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

Neither. The charger will only take what it needs, up to a limit of 30A after which it takes no more. The only thing you must check is the voltage supply is within the range of the charger, and in this case you are fine because the X6 takes up to 32V. As long as voltage is within limits you could connect it to a 10,000W power supply and the charger would be perfectly happy, it just takes the power it needs.

3. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

PS.. One important consideration is that if connecting two power-supplies in series you have to 'float the ground' on the second power supply. If you dont know what this means then probably the safest thing is not to do it yourself because playing with HV electrics is dangerous.

In a nutshell, 'floating the ground' means isolating the negative DC output of the power supply from the ground connection of the AC power input. If you dont do that bad things will happen when you connect it up because the negative DC terminal of the second supply will be raised to 12V by the output of the first supply, which causes a dead short to the AC ground connection.

4. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Soldier
    IF your going to fuse the power it would be a 40 amp fuse. The only reason I suggest it is in case you lose a power supply. This will cause a voltage drop which in turn creates an Amp spike.

A few years back Junsi did not build any protection for this in to their chargers. Coolice when he built cases he had circuit protection added to his build to protect the chargers.

5. Hector Rivera

Hector Rivera New Member

I floated all of the grounds and now the power supply does not give me 12 volts anymore. The power supply shuts off, after it turns on.

6. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Soldier
    You only float one psu.

7. Hector Rivera

Hector Rivera New Member

I did float one PSU. Its a DPS-460BB. What are the points to float?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  8. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

In your previous post you said you floated all the grounds.... which would mean you did it on all PSU's ....

I'm not familiar with the schematics for that PSU... so I can't help on that... just clear up why Uri thought you did both PSU's

9. Hector Rivera

Hector Rivera New Member

I only floated one psu. I think the psu went bad, because i floated all the grounds, on that one psu.

10. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

You just remove the input ground on one of the PSU's...

11. Hector Rivera

Hector Rivera New Member

Actually, I messed up. I only needed to float the DC side, not the DC and AC.

< My New Project | Help To Find The Best Rc Car Below 100 Dollars >