Quad Curious

cml001

What's up guys! I'm finding myself curious about quads... Have ?s. How do you hook up the 4 esc's to the power distribution board if there is no BEC? With BEC? Are the castle 35s good? Will they work with NAZA? On a 650 size quad at say 5lbs, what kv motor should be used? Anyone give me a run down on quads? I'm less than stupid on quads and how they work. How far can fpv clearly feed video? Please explain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

1) If they are switching BECs in the ESCs, then you unplug all but one of the red leads from them. This keeps the voltage stable.
If they are Linear BECs like in the Afro ESCs, you can leave them all plugged in, because only one will try to power the board at a time, instead of all four competing as Switching BECs would.

2)Go for SimonK flashed ESCs over normal ones, like the Afros from HK. They give a faster signal to the motors, and are ready programmed for multi rotor use.

3) Multirotor motors are much lower in KV than other models. Generally below 1000KV unless its a small 250 size. You will need to check the thrust of the motors compared to the weight of the aircraft.

4) Will depend on the power of your system and the quality of your Antennas.
There is a guy here near me that flew 200km. So what ever your wallet can afford :D

Derek

This thread has helped answer a few of my upcoming questions. I'm gonna be ordering the parts for a tricopter around the beginning of next month.

cml001

Yeah, I up in the air.. Still finishing up the 550 and buy'n battery's for it as funds allow... But my next build is either a quad, or a gas plane.. Not including fpv.. Cost could be close between the two depending... Make up my mind and start something mid to end of summer... Anyone use the tarot 650 frame?

Top Bottom