450 Curious here!

DAL2855

Banned
I was wondering what the voltage should be on my 3S batteries after each flight. I have been watching what the charger says when I plug them in to charge and it's less than 11.1 volts. Is this normal? Then when I plugged a battery in to discharge it and recharge it, it says 9v for the discharge. What voltage should I be looking for when I plug them into the charger? I know not to drain them more than 80% of the mah rating which is 2650mah and I've only been putting back about 1500mah back into them when I charge them after a flight. This keeps them right around 11v when I press charge on the charger and it detects the battery I have plugged into the charger.

murankar

Staff member
Some will say no less than 3.7 volts per cell. I have my ESC set for 3.8 so I know I won't go below 3.7.

I popular rule is no less than 20% of mah after flight. If you have 1000 mah you can fly 800 mah on that pack.

If you have a timer on your controller set it to 4 minuted charge your pack then figure out how many mah were replaced. If you are not at 80% used then set the timer to 4.5 minutes. Continue this till your at 80% used.

11.1 is the nominal voltage of the pack. Its been awhile since I have charged my packs. If I remember I am around 11.8 volts at the start.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
11.1 is 3.7 volts per cell. That is a good starting place. Just use the 80% rule as explained above.

DAL2855

Banned
Ok well then why would my charger when I set it to discharge a battery be drawing it down to 9v then? What's up with that?

DAL2855

Banned
Well, this one battery was acting funny in the heli. It would be fine throughout the entire spool up, but as soon as I get past midstick and start pulling collective to get airborne, the motor bogs so bad it will barely get off the ground. So I thought maybe by discharging and recharging it may fix this issue. It's the only one I'm having any issues with. The other three batteries I have are fine.

PaulRC

There's no need to discharge on a lipo. All you need to do is balance charge them everytime. Use the 80% rule

Bruno

With my iMax charger "discharge" is basically used to deplete the battery and prepare a battery for disposal.
I use the storage function to discharge and store my battery at about 3.80 volts/cell.

DAL2855

Banned
Ok thanks Bruno! Am going to try charging and balancing this battery, hadn't balanced it in a few flights so that may be the issue!

john2012

Banned
i have found that you should balance all the time this is what i do and i do check the balance with a lipo balance checker

llommel

Just a question on lipo battery storage. I have been storing my batteries in a metal army ammo box lined with stryrofoam to hold them in place.
Is this a good place to store batteries? I figure the metal box should be fire proof in case of a battery fire.

Karubah

It seems to me that you may have a dud battery. If you have a multi meter ( I don,t have lipo battery checker ) check each cell after you have charged it and see what it is, you should have about 4.2 volts on each cell. That's just my 1 cents worth.

Top Bottom