Crashed the 500

Ken Jackson

Well after 22 consecutive Flights I crashed the 500 Again. I knew I shouldn't have put the new canopy on it, Lol. Obviously something broke but have not figured out what. The main blades are unharmed after a quick assesement, the landing skids are gone, the main frame and bottom plate are history as well as the tail boom. Haven't looked much deeper then that. The new canopy has one very minor scratch.

I'll build it again.

Ken

500 Crash - YouTube

stokke

Ouch, that sucks man. Looked like the tail gave out? Gears and tail servo in working order?

Ken Jackson

Haven't gotten that far. I shut it down pretty quick so they may be, haven't had the heart to open it up and look deeper. Have new frame and bottom plate ordered already. Can't believe it missed the fence and the sidewalk. Guess that's lucky, Lol.

Ken

Graham Lawrie

Unlucky Ken. I will watch the video later.

Just watched it, did look like the tail. Man what a cool walk and not a curse or cry:) RESPECT:)

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
RCA???

- - - Updated - - -

Root Cause Analysis :)

you did a good job of recovering and hitting that TH switch! I was only doing 1/2 head speed when it hammered its impression in the earth!

looks like the tail servo failed or a linkage in the tail came off and it started doing piros! .... wow your first Piros too! good effort!

cn63bug

RCA - Repair Cost Analysis?

That sucks. Hope you get it back in the air quickly. I agree with Westy, great composure after the crash. It would have been hard for me to not lose it at least a little bit... ;)

Karubah

Sorry about your unexpected landing, tends to give a dead feeling in the gut when that happens. Get her back together and give her another go mate..

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
The slow motion makes the crash look all the more dramatic. I watched the video thrice.

Now it's my turn to comfort you, Ken. Don't you realize that you get better after each crash? :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, sounded like either a tail gear let go, or the one way didn't hold. It didn't completely blow the tail out, but obviously it was enough to cause this crash. My day is coming, it's just part of the game. It's amazing that you were able to save the blades. Most expensive single part on the heli other than motor/esc.

canongraphy

Ken,
I followed your link here from the other thread....wow man sorry to see this!
I too think something in the tail went wrong, glad you hit TH to protect at least a few parts.
The nice thing is you can rebuild it and be back flying it in no time.
Of course it just takes $$$$$$$$
really sorry bro.

Top Bottom