Micro Couldn't hold off...

EyeStation

Well, I saw a post and made a bid. Now I have a TRex 150 DFC on the way to my home. Not new, but tested and improved. The original owner received it out of the box with a cracked tail rotor mount. Through another site, obtained a hopped up tail and confirmed his heli is not one with initializing or ESC shut down. Canopy is in great shape and he has had 7 uninterupted flights since the mod.
Coming with an Orange sat and 2 extra batteries. He wanted it to go with a Turnagy 420 charger. I opted to leave it out of the deal and shipment to assure the 150 would arrive soundly. I also heard nothing good from that charger yet.
Entire package shipped to my home on December 26th, $215.
Package.jpgMod Tail.jpg150x DFC.jpgBatts.jpgSpares.jpg

Package.jpg

Mod Tail.jpg

150x DFC.jpg

Batts.jpg

Spares.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Looks like you got a decent deal on this one. Why was he selling after 7 flights and 1 repair? its crazy how some folks jump at the bit just to trun around and be done with it.

EyeStation

The usual "Micros aren't for me", but he does have a TRex 500 and 550 along with a mCPX BL. He was watching for reactions along the way before release and got one of the first batches. He never got a chance to fly it right out of the box because the tail motor mount was cracked on receipt. He got a Dylan upgrade and put the flights on it then. Maybe a bit shy of what was already reviewed and did not want to push his luck with his results. Regardless, as long as I don't have to pay the retail price or the extra cost of the sat, I am happy for what ever experience I get out of this.
I may just pass on my mCPx to my brother if I find out this TRex is flawless.

EyeStation

And I figured I saved enough money that when I saw this I grabbed it to, Magic mirror Tach - $40. Santa's got a awesome bag this year.
Magic Mirror.jpg

Got a new MicroHeli Head, ($50) set of speed blades and main motor for my 130X and 2 new cells for my mCPx in the past week too. Bonus was better than I expected.
MicroHeli 130x.jpgMH tag.jpg

Magic Mirror.jpg

MicroHeli 130x.jpg

MH tag.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Man your getting some deals. I guess folks are trying to free up some cash for the holidays.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

EyeStation

Well, just got done flying the 130x after the Micro Heli head install.
Now I got some crazy wobble. Seems to go with the Aileron input. I have clicked the aileron gain up and down two clicks from solid LED and still get the same effects.
Any suggestions on what to look for. Here is a bench run up of the 130x.
[video=youtube_share;nxZSz6HHer0]http://youtu.be/nxZSz6HHer0[/video]

Slobberdog

Clean your servos they are more prone to this when you have the full metal head, I found this myself.

EyeStation

I was wondering if it had something to do with swinging the greater mass. Should I consider adjusting the gains in any direction through the 3:1 to compensate for that head mass?
I will spray down the servos before dinner and see if it cleans up the wobble.
I did take the bird all the way apart,cleaned and lightly oiled the two main bearings and the two at the ends of the tail boom. I think I should just invest in the replacement stock frame and a new set of bearings all around. A small drop in the bucket to keep it airborne.
I did receive my TRex 150 today too. I'll see if I can get it bound and programmed into my DX6i tonight and post some kind of video of it lifting it's skids.
It's a teeny little bird, but feels pretty solid.
More later.
Thanks for the quick response Kev.

Dave ( for all those that have typed in EyeStation )

Slobberdog

I found spraying them never really cleans them, so I take mine apart every now and then, 20 or so flights,

I got my gains set at default and the cyclic seem to be ok, tail is always fun with the std servo not had time to test the new one much yet,

Go fur the lynx or boca bearings as they are much better than the stock blade ones,

Was very tempted with the 150 but gonna put that coin towards a 500 or 550 mid year, as I was given an mcpx to have a bit of fun with in the house,

The 130x is a fickle little bird that likes being maintained well, so a good clean oil and grease on the gears goes a long way with them,

cml001

Yeah I agree w slobber... The 130x is an awesome micro for what it is.... Having said that it does like upkeep... Some that that isn't always evident or obvious... And they eat up parts without crashing or abuse... Bearings and gears in particular.. My 130 will even chew up metal c & d gears... And the wobbles/shakes come and go... U could probably unplug it and let it sit for a couple days and try again... The wobble could be gone.... It is a funny bird! But a fantastic trainer and a lot of fun. I have loads invested in mine.. That's why I won't bother with the align 150.... I'll just keep the 130x up and fly'n, and as slobber said toss the coin to a 500 or 550... Do check for a level swash... I had the shakes from that issue once.. And gain setting can change with repairs too sometimes.. Just have to play with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to eat my own words or anything.. Lol.. But did u get the 150 yet? How it fly compared to the 130?

heli-maniac

That looks more like a split main shaft than the servos
Had the same thing on mine didnt Know the shaft was split till i put the Xtream head parts on it and it showed up real fast

EyeStation

After spraying and working the servos. I seem to have amplified the tail jitter now, but the main wobble is gone. When you see in the video, all the movement is tail oriented and not the other cyclic servos. now I only have wobble on the horizontal axis due to the tail servo. I really do not think it is the main shaft being split. The violent actions before sure looked like it though.
[video=youtube_share;kgZT0CgW140]http://youtu.be/kgZT0CgW140[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

And, as promised, the Maiden of the TRex 150 DFC. Using Aligns settings from the manual for the TX. Modified the normal PC to start at 45 - 47 - 50 - 75 - 75,
TC, 0 - 30 - 50 - 54.5 - 60. Gyro 55 - 50. I have not changed anything on the onboard unit yet. I will be working on getting that tail calmed down after I get the parts to charge these batteries.
[video=youtube_share;CfnzmgTGRqE]http://youtu.be/CfnzmgTGRqE[/video]

Slobberdog

Head looks a lot better Dave,

When the wobble comes and goes on the cyclic it tends to be servos need cleaning, that's what I have tend to find with mine anyway,

but the vibes I had from a split main shaft caused me to have wag on the rudder so as Jesse says check the main shaft, I swapped mine out to solid carbon before I went to steel and the solid carbon seemed so much better than the stock,

Did you clean the rudder servo as well, and check for play as the servo has to fight against the play,

EyeStation

I bet there is more than that happening with the 150. I have not had the chance to set up the FBL unit to my transmitter. I was set to do it at work today, but neglected to bring my pitch gauge to do the radio pitch end points. I am sure I can get a smoother flight by getting through the 150 MRS adjustments.
Maybe a flight video later, if work stays slow

EyeStation

One of the 150 DFC after first run through with the MRS settings and kicking the gyro up from 55 to 58.
[video=youtube_share;rmHu94PebE4]http://youtu.be/rmHu94PebE4[/video]
Sorry about the in and out of frame. iPhone was set up on a cart against my laptop.

EyeStation

TRex 150 DFC Upclose and personal.
[video=youtube_share;UXbGoCs8xJo]http://youtu.be/UXbGoCs8xJo[/video]
And another flight after a bit more adjusting.
[video=youtube_share;8vKg2Vy34xE]http://youtu.be/8vKg2Vy34xE[/video]

EyeStation

Well, Eye have to say, with nearly 2 dozen batteries through this 150, I am sold!
Sorry for all those that got lemons on the first batch, and still waiting for the replacement.
I am a professional amateur, and this heli has been somewhat forgiving for my skills.
I have flown it above a tiled cement floor at work and above my carpet at home. In my video I mention the swash ball link that pops out of the swash, and I have encountered the swash separation that others have experienced.
I think these weak points are keeping me from damaging the servos or main shaft. I do nothing that could even be remotely conceived as 3D. The times I have evoked damage has been trying to take off at a weird orientation and usually digging a blade in as the heli tips due to a bad communication link between hand and mind It may be time to start a 150 flying thread.
djb

pvolcko

Nice. Thanks for the close up tour. :) Sounds like you have the head speed quite a bit lower than I've heard most of the other vids of these. Probably a good idea. I tend to do the same thing with my micros until I get a good feel for them.

EyeStation

Ready for a day of work. 3 batteries in tow. Maybe some more video tomorrow from the open work area. That section should be filled within 3 weeks.
I work at MPC products. The employees refer to is as "Moving People Constantly". Now that it was bought out by "Woodward", "We" has been added to the "Moving People Constantly".
Till the new wall gets put up, I'll be flying there.
Breifcase full of blues.jpg

Breifcase full of blues.jpg

Top Bottom