FBL Gyro Considering changing my 3GX to XYZ

Danie Dup

Hi
I am a big TRex fan and currently have my 450, 500 and 550 fitted with 3GX gyro's with v5 software. I seem to have different issues on all these heli's. My 450 has a slight head twitch and my 550 has a bit of a tail kick-back if I turn the nose hard right. The 500's tail is also slightly twitchy as if the gyro's gains are too high. They all fly ok, but it bugs me that they are not quite a 100% perfect. Both my 500 and 550 was set up by a hobby shop and I set the 450 up myself.

My point is that the 3GX gyro's just seem to be too sensitive for my liking. I have spent lots of time tweaking the 3gx on my 450 (pods on gyro as well as software on pc) with very little improvement, and I am considering changing at least the one on my 550 Trex Dfc. My budget is limited and In South Africa we do not have any hobby shops that keep clone gyro's except the Tarot XYZ. I could probably import something from Hobbyking, but as I am still relatively new to flying I would like to be able to have some support from a hobby shop. The Brain and Beast X are just too expensive as I would probably end up changing all my fbl gyro's.

I do not do any hard 3d flying. My abilities are limited to just a couple of flips, loops and rolls.

I would like to know from the experts out there if it is worth the trouble of changing to a ZYX gyro or if that would be just a waste of money.

Best regards from SA.

Tony

Staff member
This is my opinion from my experience trying to take a cheaper way out in this hobby.

You get what you pay for. I know, that is now what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth. The 3GX was good when it was on v2.1. Since then, it's went to crap, FAST. 3.0, 3.1, 4.0 and 5.0 ALL SUCK!

I would NOT go for the ZYX on any of those helicopters, especially the 550.

In my opinion, if you don't have much money to spend, then click on the link below and download the software for V2.1 for the 3GX. Uninstall your current software, go into your C: drive and delete the Align folder. From there, unzip the file you downloaded from here and install it. Then, DOWNGRADE the 3GX to v2.1 on the 450 and set it up completely. You should have a pretty stable helicopter. If it works for that one, move on to the next size up heli and do it all over again.

But my honest suggestion, even though you say you can't do it, is get the BeastX or the iKON. Those gyros JUST WORK! PERIOD! Simple setup, and it's done.

But at the very least, forget about the "clone gyros", stick with the 3GX and put V2.1 back on it. Try it out on the 450 and report back.

murankar

Staff member
If you want to try something different try the k-bar. I have heard lots of good things about it. Maybe look at a beastx clone and see if those work for ya.

If you do go the k-bar route, buy one and see how it does. If you like it then maybe buy a second and do more testing. As for the ZYX-S, I have one at the house not doing anything as of yet. I am not sure if I want to give it up just yet. I think I have over looked a few things on it and want to give it a second shake.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Danie Dup

Thanks Guys.

Tony you are right. Not what I wanted to hear, but good advice will at least stop me from throwing more good money at bad solutions.

As suggested, I will change the software to v 2.1 on my 450 when i get a chance and just bite the bullet for a decent gyro on my 550.

The Ikon or Kbar is not available unless I import myself, and would rather go with a locally available gyro.

All our hobby shops seem to stock the "Brain". Will this also be a decent route to go? or should I onlo consider the BeastX.

Regards Danie

Lillyryan

Yes Tony is quite right. I have a 3gx on my Trex 600n and ried it on all the different firmware but ended up going back to 2.1 and it does fly great. I know its a pain but it is well worh trying it on one of the models and see what you think. If you are not 100% happy with it i suggest taking it out and using it for target practice to get some revenge on that sucker lol.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Guys.

Tony you are right. Not what I wanted to hear, but good advice will at least stop me from throwing more good money at bad solutions.

As suggested, I will change the software to v 2.1 on my 450 when i get a chance and just bite the bullet for a decent gyro on my 550.

The Ikon or Kbar is not available unless I import myself, and would rather go with a locally available gyro.

All our hobby shops seem to stock the "Brain". Will this also be a decent route to go? or should I onlo consider the BeastX.

Regards Danie
Hey Danie. If you like me and not very good on the computer and rather spend time flying vs time on the computer, The AR7200BX works great for my Tarot 450 and my Gaui X3 or if you are into tinkering like most, then Ikon is your choice. I took the advice from Tony awhile back that he said when it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for!, don't go cheap.

Danie Dup

Thanks for input Gents.
I have been warned not to go older than v3 software on 3Gx by one of my local hobby shops. They said that the lift off and landing on any version older than 3 is very sketchy and i could loose my heli on take off/landing. He is personally flying with v4 software and claims to have no issues. I am not really doubting Tony's advice on going bact to v 2.1, but would just like to know if there is any truth to this claim and what to expect from my heli when i spool up with v2.1.

Slobberdog

2.1 is as stable on the ground as most of the early versions, as long as you spool up and take off without leaving it dwell then you should be not to bad,

as for going for another gyro, personally I have the Ikon and vortex nano on my 500 and 250 respectively, and the little vibe monster that is the 250 is solid as a rock with the nano, I did have the beastx on there but the vortex is just so much better, the ikon is a fiddle to get perfect but out of the box its very good on stock settings.

on the other hand people are raving about the spirit FBL unit, all the features of the Bavarian Demon Bd3Sx but half the cost, and with full rescue features as well, not just self level.

my opinion,

Budget - Kbar
Low - Mid range - Vortex Espirit (Vx1e)
Mid high range - Ikon or Spirit
High end- BD3SX

But if you just want a good solid gyro my recommendation would be the Vx1e with optional datapod for doing field settings.

murankar

Staff member
The brain is ikon. Due to issues between the designer and MSH the ikon was borne so to speak. With the exception of a couple things they are the same.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
I respect the lhs but V3 has serious ground issues and V4 and v5 have tail issues. You should like 2.1. And as stated, brain and ikon are the same. You even use the same phone app and they just work, along with the bx.

bbj

This makes me wonder if my v5.0 on my 3gx is causing all my tail wag issues. Has anyone used the Gpro which also has a phone app. Not sure if I should change my software in the 3gx or just get a different gyro. In the same boat as Danie Dup. Any suggestions

Tony

Staff member
I have the same suggestion. Read my earlier post in getting 2.1 and try that. I myself will probably never get the gpro because of how horribly align handled the 3gx.

Slobberdog

I am led to believe the gpro is pretty much running vbar software, but I still would not trust it,

I would put a $30 kbar on any on of my helis before I would consider going back to the 3gx even to the point I would ground the heli before putting a 3gx on it to fly, after my last one on my 450 threw a wobbly after working perfect and put the heli in to the ground on its side,

I had 3 3gx on my helis I now have none, the one that put the heli in the ground met with a hammer!

Tony

Staff member
The only reason I still have a 3gx is because people still need help with them. If i don't know the answer I can quickly hook it up and find the answer.

Danie Dup

I have taken your advice and took the plunge and ordered a Micro Beast for my 550. Will have to live with the 3gx on other helis for now. I will report back once i have had the 550 in the air with the beast.
Regards Danie

Danie Dup

Nope unfortunately i think i am getting v 3. Hobby shop had already ordered and paid for microbeast before your post came through and I didnt know of new version. I do not plan to fiddle again after heli flies well so i trust v3 will be more than good enough. All the fiddling with the 3gx has made me tired of tuning more than flying.

Danie Dup

v3 is good but the new plus has self level feature!
Thanks Slobberdog. Youre feedback on the new version really came just in time and helped me a lot. I now definitely want the plus version. I just got off the phone with my Hobby shop and they will cancel the order for the v3 microbeast and get me the plus hd version. Not sure if they even knew about the plus hd.

I just hope it is as good and even better as people say the older version was.

Top Bottom