ESC Connecting Grounds

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey guys, I know I've read about this but cant remember where. Working on another scale heli and their asking to connect the grounds between the 12s flight packs and the receiver 2s pack. I'm using a Castle 120 HV controller. Is this really necessary? I've copied the paragraph from the manual. Thanks, T

In scale configurations main battery power wires may be
longer than on comparable 3D helicopter equipment. As HV
ESCs do not necessarily have the main battery ground wire
connected to the servo signal ground wire, it may be necessary
to create an additional connection between the BEC 2S
batteries ground wire and the 12S main battery ground wire.
Certain configurations without this ground interconnection
have led to a loss of signal at the ESC from the receiver due to
EMC effects.

Smoggie

I've used exactly that conficuration (HV ESC with seperate Rx battery) many times and never added grounds to the batteries and it's never been any issue. This isnt to say it's not possible for problems to occur but I've never experienced them. This seems to be advice that only quoted in scale heli circles though i really cant see why a scale heli should be any different.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah me neither, I think it was on this forum a while back there was a discussion on this. The grounds are connected between the negative cables and the signal wire, (the plug that goes to the receiver). If I remember right, if those grounds are connected you should be fine.

murankar

Staff member
Sounds like they want a common ground for some reason. The only thing I know of with 12s and castle is that at one time the esc had to be plugged into the 6s side of the 12s system. This caused a lot of head ache for a lot of people.

Top Bottom