Computers I hate them sometimes

Lee

So I wake up this morning and flip open the laptop to check my favourite forum..... No internet connection But the other 4 people in the house are with there computers. Mine says you have a self assigned IP address and cannot connect to the internet.... But i didn,t change anything!!!! All i did was shut the laptop last night and open it this morning!!! I have no access to the router to do anything as its my neighbours and we share it, but hes away. So everyone is happily surfing away while i sit and twiddle my thumbs. Took Celias laptop to write this :D
Any Ideas

their is something that you can try. if you go to start>all programs>accessorys>system tools and pick system restore.when you are in there it will ask you i you want to make a restore point or go to a stored point. pick go to stored point.What this does is rolls back the system back to the way it was days ago where you did not have the problem.But there is a 50% chance that any programs that you installed wthin the time of the system restore you migt loss

Lee

It is a Mac But Celia has a Mac and the others are using Linux. all working except mine. I will have another go tomorrow. Thanks guys

Lee

Hoorah,
After a week of trawling the interweb, i finally found someone that knows what they are talking about. My Mac is now back online :D

Lee

I had tried this before but didn't work. This time it did.
I turned off the airport wireless in my mac. Deleted all locations from my network and deleted all keys in my keychain related to this network. After rebooting, i created a new location, joined the network and bam!!!! back in the game.

murankar

Staff member
Thats odd for a unix based system. Maybe a config file got hosed and you didn't know it. Unlikely but possible. Mac OSX is based on Burkley BSD (Unix), it's almost linux just not as good, but more accepted.

Lee

My computer literacy is non existant. I just like the thing to work when it should and let me get on the interweb and play Xbox :D

murankar

Staff member
I too like it to just work. There was this one time at band camp! Actually I was in Iraq and I was connecting to a non commercial network. This was before the acceptance of wireless. So I was on the net; ether net, doing just fine. The next night my win xp would not let me connect to the net. I tried and tried and tried. The only thing I could think of was that someone messed with my registry for my ether net card. So that night, i was on night shift, I re-loaded with Redhat 8 problem solved no more issue from then on. I showed them whos boss.

Whirlybird

"Mac OSX is based on Burkley BSD (Unix), it's almost linux just not as good, but more accepted. "

My HTPC is running the new Commodore OS . . . which is based on Linux Mint 10 . . . and is setup to look lile a MAC Lion desktop :)

murankar

Staff member
didn't know Commodore OS even existed. mint has been trying to break away from ubuntu. they may have succeeded with their latest release.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
More than likely since your IP address was hard coded, you probably lost your lease on it. They are usually setup for about two weeks. When you lost your lease on it, one of the other computers (if they are set to DHCP) probably picked up your IP address, then you couldn't use it. This is just general Networking stuff and not Mac, Linux, or UNIX specific. When you deleted all of your old stuff and redid it, you came back up with a good IP address and you were back in business.

Lee

I tried the renew DHCP lease but didn't work. I power cycled the router to give out new address, nothing either. I'm happy now that i have my lappy working again. :D

Whirlybird

didn't know Commodore OS even existed. mint has been trying to break away from ubuntu. they may have succeeded with their latest release.

Yes, the company resurrected over a year ago under new ownership. Last year they released a new C64 & VIC based on PC hardware. The beta of the OS was available 11/11/11 at 11 am. They took Mint 10 and souped it up. Did a nice job of it. New Amigas are on the horizon :)

Commodore USA

There you go Lee. When the Amigas come back, switch to one of those . . . Amiga is spanish for girl friend :) :) :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom