Servos Clearance issue?

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Here is a video of something i think might be a problem with the heli, but wanted an opinion or two. Hard to see the issue in the video, but this is the servo which sits right behind the battery on top of the heli. Take a look. I'll put some pics down below the video so you can hopefully see where I'm talking about easier:

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
You know, I was just looking at this. It seems to me the servo may be on the wrong side of the mount. If I were to move it towards the battery, then move the rod end to the other side of the servo arm, I bet it would be perfect. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Nope, will not work. There are "supports" on the back of the mounting area which get in the way. I did get the screw (closest to you in the pic) tightened. So that's good. Still out of ideas (yes, my "noob"ness is showing through :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Well, for some reason I can not see the pics. But, I'm sure it's my internet and router settings. As I told you earlier on the phone, I'm setting up a new network, and it's not going so well lol. But, I will try to look at them later.

If you want the same servos that I have, and love, get the MG90S servos. They are great, and hold the heli really stable in the air for such a cheap servo. That is the arm that I was saying I couldn't find the arm for, but I never noticed the issue with it hitting. Not that I really looked that hard either lmao. But, if you want, you can replace the servos. Once I get my digital servos in that I'm going to use on the tails of my helis, I will let you know how it works.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I finally got the pics to load, adn yup, it's hitting lol. For a quick fix, you can put the ball on the other side of the arm, but that will take away the straight up and down of the rod. But, shouldn't limit your travel at all. Let me know how it works.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I just wanted to show some better pictures of how the servo arm and rod line up. As you can see in the first picture, the rod is not as vertical as what Tony is always preaching it should be. I'm wondering if I should move this outboard one hole, or will this cause more issues? With it moved out, it would clear the servo housing and be almost completely vertical. Just thinking.

servo_slant.jpg

servo_arm1.jpg

servo_arm2.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I didn't put it in the outer hole, cause there is not enough meat there to secure it to my standards lol. But, I guess it's worth a shot. If you can get the hole drilled correctly and still have enough meat, then it would solve the issue that I was having with the elevator servo (the one with the white arm) not having enough travel. Give it a shot. If you screw it up, there is always the other side of the arm lol

In fact, just drill the other side since you know this side will work lmao. I do apologize that I didn't' see this or I would have fixed it for you before sending it to you. I want to see this puppy in the air under someone else's control hehe.

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately, if you turn the servo over, the center of the arm is directly in line with the link. I tried that when I was setting it up again lmao.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I moved the rod end out to the outer hole on the servo arm. Here is a video where I disconnected the motor and powered up the servos, articulating everything several times to make sure it was functioning correctly. The servo in question articulated very well after the move. I think it will be okay. Will I have to make any changes to how the controller is set up? Or is it just one of those things which will have to be looked at when I'm ready to (attempt to) fly the thing? Here is a vid of all the servos articulating ... I'm sure it will put you all to sleep. :chuckles:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/idDHr1PI3Mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
It looks like it's moving really well. I wish you would have moved the throttle up and down more though. Just make sure that the swash is level during the full travel of the servos.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
It looks like it's moving really well. I wish you would have moved the throttle up and down more though. Just make sure that the swash is level during the full travel of the servos.

While I do know what the swash is (the donut thing, right?) I have no idea what you mean by "level"? I know which lever the throttle is, and you told me what the other ones are, but that doesn't mean I know what each one does yet. If' you'd like me to articulate the left stick up and down, then articulate it left and right at the same time, or the right stick some other way, you'll have to spell it out for me. Yes "NOOB" comes to mind, doesn't it? :biggrin1: Also, I'll need to watch the video again you made for me to make sure I have all of the switches set right on the controller. My daughter helped me out the other day and flipped a few of them for me. Nice of her :chuckles:

Tony

Staff member
Hahaha, you gotta love kids. Just remember one thing, the top switch on the right has to be AWAY FROM YOU when you plug in that helicopter. There is no failsafe to keep it from spinning it, and when it does, it will be at 85% throttle. Actually, you will be at low stick, so it will be at 100% throttle. The top left switch is your Rate/HH mode for your gyro. Keep that one towards you. The knobs are for setting the pitch, and are a pain in the butt to setup. If she turned those, I can try to walk you through gettign them back correct, but it's going to be kinda hard. And make sure in the display, there is a C with a line or something in it. That is the helicopter CCPM Setting. Any other settings, and the swash will not look right. And I guess you could call the swash a "donut" lmao.

Top Bottom