General Cleaning Nitro Engine

mooserider

Hey all, I have an older OS Fx .46 ABC engine that I want to use again. When I stored it, put some 'Marvel Mystery Oil' in it, and put it away (maybe 15 years ago). I pulled it out now, and couldn't turn it by hand surprisingly. So I pulled it all appart, and got it turning by pushing down on the piston and cranking the shaft. If I had a prop on it, I probably could have got it with the extra torque. But, it still feels like a heavy glue or honey when I turn it, so I want to clean it out since I already tore it apart.

My question is this, is there a better way to clean it than what I use to do years ago? Which is basically soaking it all in nitro gas and cleaning it with Q-tips? Also, I assume I should use a little oil when putting the metal to metal parts back together to make a good seal?

Thanks for any advice!

Tony

Staff member
I use carb cleaner to clean this off. I have quite a few old engines like this. All you need is something that will break up the thick oil. So anything from WD-40 to carb cleaner to very hot soapy water (dry it with air afterwards) will do the trick. And I use Transmission fluid to lube the engine parts. It's nothing more than 10w oil and works great to keep metal to metal damage.

mooserider

Awesome, thanks Tony! Can't wait to hear it run again! Gonna go at it tonight and get it nice and clean.

mooserider

BTW Tony, people say that when you take them apart, the never run the same way (taking off the back plate and the head). I'm guessing I should treat it as a new break-in when in run it again?

Tony

Staff member
I would never use oven cleaner on an engine! You are dealing with soft metals, not steel and ceramic that ovens are made out of.

Top Bottom