Quad CleanFlight vs. OpenPilot

gbakakos

I just discovered Clean-flight. Any reason why one would use Clean-Flight over Open-Pilot. I use a CC3D board and I noticed I needed to use a specific version of Open-Pilot. Is that because they are no longer supporting cc3d boards?

Any performance advantages over using one vs. the other. I do understand I would need t load new firmware on the CC3D to use Clean-Flight.

New to all this so just wondering..

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
They say cleanflight is a little easier to tune and gets rid of some of the oscillations associated with open pilot. Mainly on the descent. I have thought about trying it, but never made it outside to do the test flight. It's worth a try. Save your OP settings, flash CF and see if you like it. If you don't, go back into OP and restore OP onto the CC3D and reupload your files.

gbakakos

Thanks for the quick response Tony.

That's what I will try. One more thing to tinker with and learn from.

Thanks

snoopy13us

I had this same question based on a couple of CC3D builds I've seen. I went to OpenPilot and the software can be downloaded (the older version does support cc3d, kind of in the notes). When I tried to look at the forum section and the manual section they would not load (page not found). Long story short, seems as though OpenPilot is no longer linking to the forum support and is not doing anything with CC3D. I then found a site called LibrePilot that has the support and such and has a new release of their software that supports CC3D and some newer stuff. They bill themselves as most of the folks involved with OpenPilot. (After Baeflight/Cleanflight - I believe everything I read on the internet).

The question (finally) - do you folks know what's going on and is OpenPilot still viable. Do we move to CleanFlight for all? Appreciate any insight into this one. I'm starting to specify my next two builds and am in a bit of a quandry. Many thanks to all.

Tasajara

I have tried the OpenPilot but never got the boards to work for me...they don't like my computer LOL never could get the thing to calibrate with my Tx.
I use CleanFlight on all my builds now... Has a lot of great features.

I put CleanFlight on a Flip32, Naze32 and a Seriously Dodo Flight Controller all worked very well. They fly pretty good with just a few small tweaks.
CleanFlight has a Firmware listed to load onto a CC3d board. I have not tried it myself though.

snoopy13us

Thanks much, kind of what I'm seeing. I have to do the first build with the CC3D simply due to time so I may try CleanFlight first and (if that doesn't work well) I'll try the LibreFlight. I'm seeing a couple reviews and it looks like it will work for what I initially need. The second build later in the year is probably going with the Seriously Pro F3 board which will take CleanFlight. Wish we could find "one size fits all" so you could learn all of the nuances of the fine tweaks. Oh well ...

Again, thanks much.

Top Bottom