Cleaned My Keyboard, What a PITA

Tony

Staff member
So I have been meaning to do this for a while now and kept putting it off. I cleaned another one of my keyboards and the keys stuck really bad after I cleaned it (they were sticking before as well) and I know what happened, I forgot to grease the keys before putting the keys back on (non mechanical, membrane keyboard). Well, I was not going to make that mistake with this keyboard so I headed out to the garage, and there was only two kinds of grease I had, and neither one was 'light weight' grease. I had bearing grease that you would pack your wheel bearings with, and I had some red high temp grease that I used when I was driving truck. I went with the high temp, everything needs a little red! lmao.

So I tore the keyboard apart, took every key and button off of it and took the membrane and the base to the kitchen and washed the crap out of them. Man was that thing dirty. The membrane was not so bad though thankfully, but man is that thing thin compared to some others. Either way, I now had a nice clean keyboard base and I was ready to go back together with it.

I grabbed some cotton swabs and my high temp grease (you know, if you type as fast as I do, you need high temp to keep those keys cool! lmao) and I put grease in every single slide. Once that was done, I grabbed each key and cleaned them by hand, top and bottom, including the large key metal braces and installed them one by one.

I now have my keyboard back together and the reason for this post is to test it out. With that thick grease, the keys are almost silent! I love it. However, the compression is a lot tighter and I find when you are typing something that has double letters, like the double 't' in "leTTers", it won't always pick it up since the key is still pushing down on the membrane. But, the grease will wear in, the keys will get louder but I now have the satisfaction of typing on an absolutely clean keyboard.

I still need to get another one, but I guess it can wait a little longer now lol. Man these keys need to break in, like NOW! lmao.

RandyDSok

I'm pretty much a cheapskate when it comes to spending... but I'm also much lazier than I am cheap... :D

.... not to mention, by the time my keys start sticking, most of the primary letters have been worn off also.

Tony

Staff member
I have worn all of the cladding off almost all keys. The space bar, just like on my lappy, has worn through the top layer and is now in the underlying plastic lol. But all of the numbers and letters are still there! And it's still working great. even better now that it's clean!

Top Bottom