Motors Chicken Stick

Years ago they called a Chicken Stick. What I want to know is what it is actually called so I can order one. It was a stick or rod that was used to pop start a glow engine so you didn't have to use your finger.

Tony

Staff member
I still call them chicken sticks. But you can make one yourself instead of buying it. It's just a wooden dowel rod and for a little more protection to keep from damaging the prop, you can dip it in some of that handle stuff for tools (brain fart, can't remember the name of it. thick and makes teh rubber coated handles) or you can just wrap electrical tape around it. If you want to get fancy, you can find a wooden handle, drill a hole and put a 3/8"-1/2" dowel in it.

Thanks Toni. Years ago I was pop starting a 75 size glow engine by hand and it got me but good. Hurt like the dickens and bled profusely. I got a real healthy respect for RC engines.

Tony

Staff member
I think anyone that has flicked one over like that has had that happen a time or two. First time may just be a graze and not cut you, but the second time usually causes a little pain.

But again, in my opinion, there is no reason to buy a chicken stick. They are pretty basic and anyone can make one out of a simple dowel rod.

Derek

I think you may be talking about "Plasti-Dip." This stuff is alot of fun to mess with. I've even found it in a spray can. I welded my own shooting rest, last year, and coated it with the spray on "Plasti-Dip" and my shooting rest looks great. I've been able to find this stuff at Lowe's, Menards, many hardware stores, and even at Harbor Freight, where my wife works.

Top Bottom