600 Chicken, or the Egg?

Giby1

Happy New Year everyone.
I would like to build a "UH-1" Huey in the 600/700 size Electric.
My problem is I am new to helicopters.

Do I buy the kit and mechanics first, and then go shopping for a fuselage,
or do I get the fuselage first, then go looking for a kit to fit?

Any help is appriciated.
Giby1

Lee

+1 On the link that Tony posted. I have the 600 Chaos from them. Its a great heli. Their fuselages are fantastic. Check the super scale helis AWESOME!!!!

Stambo

If you are new to heli's may I suggest a simulator and a cheaper heli to learn with.
I don't know anyone who has not crashed while learning.
Better to crash a cheaper bird and repair it than destroy a scale machine.
And by cheaper I don't mean a clone that you will spend a fortune on getting it airworthy.
Perhaps a used align bird to get you started or even a micro like a v911 for orientation training.
I guess a lot depends on how familiar you are with your transmitter.
I would suggest a lot of stick time on a sim, and don't treat it as a game.
Treat it as though each crash on the sim is gonna cost real money.
It will save you real money in the long term.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take.

pvolcko

Agree with Stambo totally. Scale is an expensive way to get into the hobby both in terms of build/kit costs and in terms of inevitable repairs. Get something cheaper to start with, get good enough to fly circuits with it without crashing or feeling like you're on the ragged edge of control, and then look into the scale heli build.

Ken Jackson

Learn how to fly while your building your scale helicopter. There is a learning curve and you will spend a few bucks getting educated. Once you figure out how "not to crash" then you fly your dream chopper and make sure you video your flight and your experience learning to fly. I've been at it 2 years, spent a lot to learn it fast but I love flying and pushing myself to do more. But I hate crashing.

good luck whatever you decide!

Ken

Giby1

Learn how to fly while your building your scale helicopter. There is a learning curve and you will spend a few bucks getting educated. Once you figure out how "not to crash" then you fly your dream chopper and make sure you video your flight and your experience learning to fly. I've been at it 2 years, spent a lot to learn it fast but I love flying and pushing myself to do more. But I hate crashing.

good luck whatever you decide!

Ken

THANKS FOR ALL THE COME-BACKS GUYS.

For information, I have a Realflight simulator.
I can fly just about all the heli's on realflight , with a 5MPH wind and 50% turbulance.
It's my 450 Blade that I have problems with. I have put alot of time and money into it and still have problems. I have a fixed pitch 200, and have no problem with.
I think my problem is the mechanical setup. I don't trust myself with it so last month I put a note on rc-help asking if anyone in my area was experienced on heli's. No Luck.
My club is mainly fixed wing .
I've done some research on the Aerodyne website. Liked the "UH-1N" along with the Trex 600ESA. Unless I hear any differant from you guys this afternoon, I will be ordering them.
Well I love the Huey, its from my era, and I might as well put the money into it instead of some Harley MC.
Have a great new years guys. I'm sure you will be hearing from me on this project.

Giby1

pvolcko

Just get that 450 right and able to fly in real life before you put that scale huey up in the air, please! :) I'd hate to see you put the time and effort into a scale build to end up crumpling it shortly after taking off.

murankar

Staff member
You will need to master the setup before attempting any flight with any bird. What every questions you have about setup I am sure Tony already has a video of it on his youtube channel. If you go Align ditch the 3GX right away and get something like an iKon, Bavarian Dean, Skookum 540 or a AR7200BX for a gyro. I would also hate to see you lose it do to some firmware issues especially like the one that the 3GX has had. Nothing against Align on that its just that they have not figured it out yet the others have.

Stambo

Just get that 450 right and able to fly in real life before you put that scale huey up in the air, please! :) I'd hate to see you put the time and effort into a scale build to end up crumpling it shortly after taking off.

Totally agree with this.
Watch Tonys build videos and get the mechanical setup right.
Get your tx set up with some beginner friendly "soft" settings for DR and EXPO.
Watch Tonys learn to fly videos and get that 450 flying.

Now that we know you have a flight sim and a couple of other heli's we can recommend a direction for you.
Whether you choose to follow our recommendation is up to you. :)

I don't know Realflight, maybe someone who has it can recommend some settings to make it a bit "harder" for you so you get closer to the real experience.
Sim flight is never the same as actually getting out there with an rc heli.
Just the same as one heli will fly totally different to another.
I found the difference between my Esky with stock tx and T9x was like chalk and cheese.
The sim gives you stick time with your tx, and orientation training. Both very important.
Spend a lot of time with your FP 200, this gives you actual flight time.
I assume you are using the same tx for everything, including sim.
Then get that 450 in the air and get real familiar with it.

Then and only then would I suggest flying your BIG bird.
Once you do you may never pick up the 450 again. :)

Good luck.

Giby1

Totally agree with this.
Watch Tonys build videos and get the mechanical setup right.
Get your tx set up with some beginner friendly "soft" settings for DR and EXPO.
Watch Tonys learn to fly videos and get that 450 flying.

Now that we know you have a flight sim and a couple of other heli's we can recommend a direction for you.
Whether you choose to follow our recommendation is up to you. :)

I don't know Realflight, maybe someone who has it can recommend some settings to make it a bit "harder" for you so you get closer to the real experience.
Sim flight is never the same as actually getting out there with an rc heli.
Just the same as one heli will fly totally different to another.
I found the difference between my Esky with stock tx and T9x was like chalk and cheese.
The sim gives you stick time with your tx, and orientation training. Both very important.
Spend a lot of time with your FP 200, this gives you actual flight time.
I assume you are using the same tx for everything, including sim.
Then get that 450 in the air and get real familiar with it.

Then and only then would I suggest flying your BIG bird.
Once you do you may never pick up the 450 again. :)

Good luck.
Thanks Stambo,
All help greatly appreciated.
I know the feeling of putting the aircraft in the air for the first time. I've flown fixed wing for about 15 yrs now
and its always the same on the first flight.
Giby1

Top Bottom