FBL Gyro Cheap FBL gyros

billmester

Hi,

Which cheap fbl gyro do you have experience with / recommend?

I have in my mind the ZYX-S, the copterx and the K-bar.
The ZYX-S (v2 and old both) start from 60+$ on ebay, the copterx is 50-60$, while the K-bar is like 35$.

I would not go into the ~60$ range, I would buy a used 3GX instead for the same money.

K-bar has direct usb and supports sats which makes it a clear "winner" for me... at least for that money
there is not much to lose right?

Anybody got some advices, stories, options?

(normally, I like my 3GX, but for this project, the budget is short. that's life :)

Thanks,
bm

heli-maniac

Hobbymate Hb800 is just like a Beast x and run around 39.99 and 49.99 with a sat
I have one mounted in a 130x and it is doing well so far . Bet it would be great on a bigger Heli

billmester

Checked it now, thanks. Looks good, but only available in the US.... why???
Shipping & tax doubles the price... :(
Thanks,
bm

Admiral

I have had a lot of success with the CopterX 3X-1000 I have them in several helicopters one of my flying mates likes Robird G31 very easy setup, more recently I have been buying (unused) 3GX units for $50~$70 that's what bought me to this forum bit of a learning curve but I'm hoping beter value in the long run.

Lee

For cheap gyros, the top of the pack is the Robird G31
Or the ZYX S
I've used the ZYX myself. It was ok, but i never felt the heli was fully locked in like the more expensive models.
Just from listening to others, the robird seems closer in feel and set up to the BeastX.

billmester

Thanks guys.
Well, Robird and Tarot are nice - the prices (with shipping to Europe) are all matching the 3GX, shipped. lol...
Hobbyking sells a similar unit (Turnigy "brand", 50$), and a red one with Mistery "brand", TGZ380 with a tag below 50$, shipped.

That leads me to... either waiting for a good deal and buying an other 3GX (before Align releases 4.1, cause that will boost
the prices...) OR get a dirt cheap K-bar (V-bar clone) for 30$.

K-Bar experience anyone?

Actually, I am reviving to life my old 'King2 - you can see a picture of it in the noob greeting section, called "Buddy",
cause I could never fix the tail wag with the stock esky radio... and it got crashed...
Just recently I got a good deal on a beautiful esky original Jetranger canopy (just google "esky jetranger") and decided to get the King
back to life... but a scale Jetranger canopy deserves FBL.

I don't really want to fly it, maybe a few hovers just for staring at it... mostly it will be a shelf item. And I don't want to spend a nickel on it...
...at least not much. Even the FBL head is "home made", based on this: No Flybar on my HBK2 - RC Groups

So see my point? :) I need the cheapest fbl, that works with DSM sat(s), as I have a few around, and should work with the stock digital ESKY
servos (well, OK, I got a DS425M on the tail...).

All ideas are welcome :)

Cheers, bm

Lee

Ah well if its just for a King2 then I wouldn't waist a Robird or ZYX S on it. Just get any old thing LOL :D

heli-maniac

The hobbymate is a clone of a Beast X the setup is the exact same
I was surprised at how well it is doing on a 130x heli but Im still testing it its super stable it will hover hands off

fhu667

For cheap gyros, the top of the pack is the Robird G31
Or the ZYX S
I've used the ZYX myself. It was ok, but i never felt the heli was fully locked in like the more expensive models.
Just from listening to others, the robird seems closer in feel and set up to the BeastX.

I've been impressed with my Robird. I really like it, and there have been a few used ones pop up on the classifieds at some of the other forums recently. I have yet to try the governor out, but that will be next.

billmester

Hi,
I have lost my last 3 posts here...
I will put hem back eventually

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
I have lost my last 3 posts here...
I will put hem back eventually

Tony

Staff member
Is it coming up with the "Leave Page" popup? If so, follow the instructions on the notice at the top of the forum when that comes up. I assure you, I'm actively looking for a solution to this.

billmester

noooo, I'va posted them a few days back (a week ago or so)...
(the ctrl-a, ... method does not work, I am using Firefox)

Tony

Staff member
ctrl+a is just a "select all" short key. You can do the same by highlighting the text with your mouse before you submit a post, right clicking and selecting Copy from the menu. Again, I"m working on this and actively testing a new forum software to try and help with these issues.

billmester

I know, dont worry :) I'm in IT too :)
Nothing important or urgent were lost :)
20140427_214243.jpg
'was just telling that the k-bar is arrived and is the best I've seen so far!!!!!
I can hover hands off...
In the flybarless 'King with a Jetranger canopy (it is still unfinished in the pic, I'll upload more)

20140427_214243.jpg

billmester

...working on it, really. But the weather in Europe in the past weeks were ...crappy at least. Now it is sunny and hot but still windy. Very windy.

So untill I can get the heli out for a spin, I found 2 vids on yt, with the same cheapo' gyro. Surprisingly good flights - same surprise I had at my first flight :)
MINI kbar VBAR cousin bad ass gYRO - YouTube
Gaui X3 3D Flight with KBAR FBL Gyro - YouTube

Cheers,
bm

- - - Updated - - -

(none of these are my vids... to be clear :))

Lanman

I started with the ZYX and still have it on my 450 Pro. It's not great but it does the job. It's what got me started in this hobby. I have a MSH Brain on my 500 and it's certainly better than the ZYX. The nice thing about starting with the ZYX three years ago is it forced me to learn this stuff inside and out because of the lack of documentation. The MSH Brain flies great right out of the box but the ZYX required a lot of tuning. I think the latest ZYX firmware is much better than when I started using it.

I tried the Robird but never could get it to work. The tail was always a mess. I tried working with RobirdUSA to get my problems resolved but when they ran out of ideas, they stopped replying to my emails. I know several others who had the same problems I did with the Robird and they received the same level of customer service. I've read a lot of good about the Robird but it was a waste of $70 for me and a few others.

I recently decided to put my 450 back in the air and I'm going to try the K-Bar on it this time. Looking forward to trying something new.

Dave

Top Bottom