General Channel Assign Questions

Jimbo

I am using a DX9 and have some general questions I find confusing:

1) GEAR - What exactly is GEAR? My TX will let me assign it to any switch I want, but why does it have a name? I know it takes six channels for a CP, so GEAR must be something, but i don't know what.

2) AUX1 - In some configurations this comes up as Inh or PITCH, but I can not change it. It will not let me assign it or do anything with it. Is thas due to needing six channels for a CP?

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Gear refers to planes and the landing gear, or retracts. Not sure why they keep it with heli's, but they do. But it is always channel 5. and Aux1 is mostly used as your Pitch servo, or the left servo on a swash plate. If you are flying in normal 1 servo 90º mode, this is when it will show up INH.

Jimbo

So I have GEAR, AUX2, AUX3 and AUX4 as extra channels to run sound, lights or what have you?

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Not if you are running a collective pitch helicopter. Gear is your gyro gain, Aux 1 is your pitch servo (it's taken up even if you are in normal mode on your swash). Aux 2 and 3 yes, they should be open.

Jimbo

So, I need seven channels for a collective and anything after that is open. GEAR = Gyro gain, but I can assign it to any switch I want.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
You only need 6 channels for a CP helicopter unless you want to run a governor in which case you will need 7. And yes, as long as your Tx supports it, you can assign the switch to any switch.

Jimbo

You're right. I lost count there. Six it is. :)

I know I sound stupid, but this has been a big help. Thank you.

Tony

Staff member
You would only sound stupid if you didn't ask the questions. That is what we are here for. I was stupid tired this morning hence why my answers were short lol. But always ask the questions, we will always try to provide the answers.

Jimbo

In my current set up, Gear is "Inh", so no switch assigned. Does that mean I can use (assign) switch "D", which is often marked Gear on a TX, to work something else and not mess anything up??

Jim

Jimbo

Another question. TX's have sub trim, governor and various other places to set things. However, most flight controllers and ESC's, require these things to be adjusted in their software and tell you not to use the TX or it will be read as a flight input. It would be simpler to do it in the TX, on the fly, rather than smart phone. Why is this????

Jim

Tony

Staff member
In my current set up, Gear is "Inh", so no switch assigned. Does that mean I can use (assign) switch "D", which is often marked Gear on a TX, to work something else and not mess anything up??

Jim
You can, but if you have a rudder on a helicopter, you really should have this enabled so you can dial in the tail gain.

Another question. TX's have sub trim, governor and various other places to set things. However, most flight controllers and ESC's, require these things to be adjusted in their software and tell you not to use the TX or it will be read as a flight input. It would be simpler to do it in the TX, on the fly, rather than smart phone. Why is this????

Jim
Most of the newer gyros have internal mixing. This means that not only do you not use the subtrim in your Tx, but you also put your Tx on 1 servo 90 for the swash. It's just something the gyro manufacturers do.

Jimbo

Yes, I forgot about tail gain. Of course I would need it for that.

Now I see why you select the normal 90 degree swash in the TX, when it is really a 120.

Thanks,

Jim

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, You know I have had those on this forum since day one, and I think this is the first time they have seen the light of day... lol

Top Bottom