Flight Controllers CC3D board - Open Pilot - won't calibrate ESC's

JJE0476

Hi, I am building a 250 quad from misc parts I've purchased. I got the control board from Hobby King, it is the CC3D board. I've got it all hooked up and ready for the Open Pilot part/ GCS. I've got the firmware all updated, but I can't get it to calibrate my ESC's. I can't get past that part of the "Vehicle setup wizard". I am using Afro 12A ESC's, with a 1KHz input freq, running afro_nfet.hex firmware. (or that is what the package says).

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Let me know what other details I can provide. During the ESC calibration part of the GCS, it starts to initialize, the blue light blinks rapidly like it is trying, but hen it goes to a single blink and beep as if there is an error.

Tony

Staff member
Have you tried moving ahead in the program and see if the motors will start up at about the same point when you set up the low point where they come on? If not, I would try that and see how it works.

Tony

Staff member
That is interesting. I have never seen that before. Lee will be up in a bit, maybe he will know what is going on here.

One thing to check, are you using bluetooth? If so, try doing this with the USB cable.

Tony

Staff member
Lets try this. Go ahead and unplug the cc3d from the computer, turn the Tx on (quad off) and raise the throttle all the way up. Plug the quad in (take the props off) and wait for the two beeps, then lower the throttle all the way. Try this and see what it does.

Tony

Staff member
Post up what you did to solve this issue. I have not seen this issue and it could help someone in the future.

JJE0476

As painful as it is to admit, I had the ESC's plugged in wrong to the board. They were plugged in backwards, not backwards 1 to 4, but the plug was reversed. Stupid rookie mistake that I'm pissed at myself for wasting anyone's time. Thanks for all who contributed.

Don't rush, take your time, double and triple check everything! :)

Tony

Staff member
Bro, you are not wasting anyone's time, I can assure you. Anyone that has said they have never plugged in a plug backwards is either very new, or lying through their teeth. I have done it more times than I can count. So no worries bro! Just glad you got it up and running!

Stambo

Agree totally with Tony, not just a rookie mistake, I have seen experienced builders do the same thing and I have done it myself.
Just lucky that nothing is toast, I fried a $70 video TX and had to wait over a month for a replacement.

Lee

Yep, me too. Always plugging things in the wrong way.
Only difference between a newbie and an experience flyer is, they realise sooner, what mistake they made LOL :D

Top Bottom