catastrophic maiden with blade 450 fbl conversion

hiya chaps

ive read through all the comments and really appreciate your input, ill try and answer all questions.

firstly Lee, you asked if there was anything suspicious or lose after the crash, well one of the link arms had come off from swash to grips, if you look at the video where i hang it upside down you can see the link off the grip end.. i guess this could have happened when it pruned the cherry tree..

i done nothing untoward with the sticks or switches immediately prior to its rocket launch, i was actually crapping myself so very very gentle with the throttle..

my pitch and throttle curves were set to the Eflites manual which i used when it was an FB..

i now have the bird all fixed and setup again, ive been threw the ZYX setup twice to check servos/swash and all is OK

ive done an idle up video with NO blades attached to observe swash movement, i will add it to this thread when its uploaded to youtube.

i have already started the next stage which is attaching blades and going through pitch settings, these are my initial settings so far.

im going NO further with this until you guys have looked at the vid and these settings...

thanks for all your support so far

these are in idle up with linear curve 0 - 100

at centre stick (50%)

A blade = -0.3
B blade = -0.5

full positive (100%)
A blade = +11.0
B blade = +11.1

full negative (-100%)
A blade = -12.8
B blade = -12.4

thanks guys

heres the spool up after repairs

[video=youtube_share;tF9X5_PxtXk]http://youtu.be/tF9X5_PxtXk[/video]

one thing i have noticed is the throttle stick on the DX6i is sticky, it doesn't move smoothly like the cyclic or rudder, its very small increments but not smooth, is there any threads to fix this?

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Thats the ratchet style for planks. If you open the tx and look at the throttle stick youll see a strip of metal laying it. Unscrew it and flip it upside down and reattach it. That should solve that problem.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Just to be sure, is the radio synchronized and programmed with the ZYX software?

All the sick movements are correct, travel limits are at 100 and tail gain is calibrated?

Just to be sure, is the radio synchronized and programmed with the ZYX software?

All the sick movements are correct, travel limits are at 100 and tail gain is calibrated?

Hi Mathius, yes the tx is synced with the gyro, all servo limits have been programmed to + & - 100% in the software! tail gain is set to 36 for HH and -36 for normal as tarot suggest for the initial setup. Stick inputs are correctly decoded on swash movement when I spooled it up on last vid..

I'm currently making a lazy Susan setup that Derek done. The heli will be strapped down to this to check gyro before any take off...

Thanks for your comments

Last edited:

EyeStation

I did not see any pitch change in that last video. Another thing to look for is the Swash correction, which you cannot tell from the last video either. Pick up the un-bladed, spooled heli and make sure the swash corrects in the right direction when you move if from being level.

I did not see any pitch change in that last video. Another thing to look for is the Swash correction, which you cannot tell from the last video either. Pick up the un-bladed, spooled heli and make sure the swash corrects in the right direction when you move if from being level.

I'll do a short video of this now Dave, cheers

pvolcko

Was going to suggest the same thing. Vid showing both normal and IU1 pitch travel (can have the motor unplugged). And one showing swash correction tilting. Lastly, one more showing rudder left/right input response and (in heading hold mode) taking the tail and placing it 45 degrees off from init position.

Lee

+1 didn't see any pitch change?
You can Skype me anytime Tony, if you want me to check.

thanks guys, ive just finished a short video of all the above suggested checks, swash movement, tail movement..

thanks Lee i will if you dont see enough in this video, im sure it shows everything you need to see.

my next concern is the blade pitch setup, the swash is level, and i posted my current settings earlier on, if you could take a look id appreciate it.

i did make a Lazy Susan earlier thats made of marble, very heavy, i thought it would be ideal but unfortunately the bearings have a lot of play causing the gyro to go mental..... so back to the drawing board on that one...

im going to crap myself when i have to spool this up with the blades on again....definitely going to the field this time, no more garden checks for me...!!!!

thanks everyone...appreciated

ill put the video on here when its published on youtube, its only done 4%... slow

Tony...

Lee

Tail gyro is compensating the wrong way.
Watch my video again. :)

Last edited:
Tail gyro is compensating the wrong way.
Watch my video again. :)

Hi Lee, yes I've just watched it again, I'll change it back the way it was, I thought it went off the nose of the heli, so turning the nose to the left then the tail went to the right....

Loads of info to take in...

Thanks for spotting it though

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I've changed the tail compensation, so now I push the tail to the right and the leading edge of the tail rotor moves to the left, basically the opposite..

Thanks Lee

Now for the main rotor blade pitch setup I think...

pvolcko

Also, redo your tail endpoints. It looks like nose right (tail left) was resulting in a lot more deflection of the tail blades than nose left (tail right) did. Also looked like there was quite a bit of room left before the slider came into contact with the tail hub. You want to set that up so the slider is just barely missing contact with the bearing (one side) and rotor hub (other side). As much deflection as possible so the gyro has the most pitch angle to use as possible.

Ok Paul thanks, I'll look at that now...

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody got any ideas on my current pitch settings, on page 5 #41

Top Bottom