catastrophic maiden with blade 450 fbl conversion

hi all

done my first maiden this morning, heli is knackered again. video says it all.... WHY, no idea yet

closer inspection and it needs blades, feathering shaft, tail slider arm..

[video=youtube_share;BD1cnPMUR4E]http://youtu.be/BD1cnPMUR4E[/video]

Admiral

Hi Tony sorry about the crash, to me it looks like the initial problem was the Tail Gyro direction was wrong, can't work out why it took off the way it did though, unless something came loose while it was spinning around.

Hi Tony sorry about the crash, to me it looks like the initial problem was the Tail Gyro direction was wrong, can't work out why it took off the way it did though, unless something came loose while it was spinning around.

hiya Keith

yes i should have stopped it after the first spin and checked the gyro settings, lesson learnt, a crash is always another learning curve for me...

ive checked the pitch and throttle settings on the TX and they are setup as the Blade manual, ive always used these settings when it was FB without issues.

it looks like the gyro just went into idle up on its own, i certainly didnt have any time at all to react. im pleased the tree was there to just kill it. that walled fence is over 6 foot and gives me some protection..

the gears in the pitch servo have gone too..

Admiral

Hi Tony, when you setup a 3 Axis system you should create a new model on your TX with no mixing or sub-trim and linear throttle and pitch curves until you get it all working, then fine tune it. If you have used your FB setup it may have contributed to the problem.

Derek

Holy Smokes!!!! I had to replay that just so that I could understand what happened. WOW! I have to say that I'm happy the helicopter took off in the direction that it did instead of towards you. I'm still in a bit of shock!

I hope you rebuild it and give it another go.

Holy Smokes!!!! I had to replay that just so that I could understand what happened. WOW! I have to say that I'm happy the helicopter took off in the direction that it did instead of towards you. I'm still in a bit of shock!

I hope you rebuild it and give it another go.

Hi Derek, yes I did have a new model setup in tx with everything set correctly, I followed a really good guide on YouTube. Once it was all done I only changed the throttle and pitch back to the blades manual settings..

God knows why it took off, I can understand the tail spin now and should have corrected that first.... Bloody idiot I am...

Looks good though that crash... Haha.

Derek

I couldn't believe what I saw! I'm just glad that it was only the helicopter that got hurt...no people and no property.

Calling yourself a "Bloody idiot" is probably a bit harsh. We all make mistakes. Now it's the time to learn from those mistakes. I think you say "Lesson Learned"....now we move on and try again. I wish the best of luck, Tony! Feel free to ask questions or ask for suggestions. We're here to help!!! I've seen you fly on the simulator, so I know you can fly. Now we just need to get the helicopter and yourself on the same page of the same book, lol.

I couldn't believe what I saw! I'm just glad that it was only the helicopter that got hurt...no people and no property.

Calling yourself a "Bloody idiot" is probably a bit harsh. We all make mistakes. Now it's the time to learn from those mistakes. I think you say "Lesson Learned"....now we move on and try again. I wish the best of luck, Tony! Feel free to ask questions or ask for suggestions. We're here to help!!! I've seen you fly on the simulator, so I know you can fly. Now we just need to get the helicopter and yourself on the same page of the same book, lol.

Haha, good one Derek, same page, same book, I like it. One day we will be as one, one Man, one machine.. I definitely won't give up even if I have to buy a RTF. Haha...

I'm off to France in a couple of hours so it will be next week before I get back to it, but parts are ordered... Thanks for those kind words Derek... I'll still be logging into RCH whilst away..

I should have titled it "how to prune a cherry tree in 100 mS" haha... It's funny now but could have been so so different had it headed for me like you say..

EyeStation

Tony, first thing, glad to see there was no personal injury.
when you say Lesson Learned, I hope that the people that try to spool up something indoors will NOW understand why it is a bad idea.
Like Derek, I had to watch it more than once, and my heart pounded with each view.
You are Sooooo lucky. I did laugh when you just threw the heli in a heap. I might have stepped on it once or twice too. lol
Good luck with the rebuild.

Good thought Dave, don't ever spool an outdoor heli up inside... I've never done it and definitely will never be tempted to after this... I'm very lucky Dave could have been so different...

Haha, your heart pounded watching it, you should have been here... Haha mine nearly stopped....lol

I got a bit fedup when I looked at it hence chucking it on the deck.... Haha, I was gutted and in shock..

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tony, if you see this do you think that part of the vid where it takes off could be used to show younger inexperienced pilots why not to use in the house... Dave had a good idea there...

Lee

Wow that was a beauty !!!
Yep def tail comp was reversed. What my tail gyro/servo video in my RC tips and Tricks. Then you'll never get it wrong again.
As for the take off. Positive pitch created by something.
Did you drop the throttle or flick throttle hold?
You may have the pitch backwards in one of them. Are the blade grips leading edge controlled or trailing edge?
This could be different from your last head and caused some confusion.
Keen to know what it was for sure.
Have fun in France :)

danhampson

you were very lucky that didnt come towards you when it left the ground.

+1 for what lee said. it looked like the elev servo went in the wrong direction and caused the bird to flip.

Glad that you didnt get hurt, good luck with the rebuild and have a nice time in france.

stokke

Jeeeeezus Christ! That could have gone awfully wrong, Tony. Count yourself lucky that thing didn't fly in your direction.

Sorry to see it happen to anyone. Build it - fly it - crash it - repeat.

Thanks guys.. Definitely something wrong and I'll find out when I return.. Blades are leading edge Lee, I've i photo of it posted on here sitting on table 5 mins before this happened..

I triple checked swash movement was right and during throttle up only very tiny stick inputs, I was peeing myself...haha..then it just turned and shot up as you's have seen, never touched idle up switch too scared anyway, even when it was FB..

I'll check your video out when I get back Lee..

Signing off now till I get on the ship, around 01.00am in morning..

Thanks to all who have commented.

murankar

Staff member
Next time when the tail spins like that reverse the correction on the gyro. As for why it went airborne like that, not sure. Did you give it input or did it do it on its own?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

Did you hit throttle hold during any of that? What is your pitch curve setting for throttle hold on? To me it looked like it has both a gyro and swash correction direction problem (while on the ground it looked like the rotor disc was wobbling pretty oddly). If the TH pitch curve isn't set to match your normal mode pitch curve then it may be there was a large positive pitch change which sent it flying, coupled with the swash correction problem it went flying off.

Just a guess.

Blade 450X and 450 3D are normally trailing edge controlled so by going leading edge you will find your setup is going to be completely different than a standard Blade 450. Reversals will have to be reversed so the swash goes up instead of down on positive pitch inputs. swash correction will be flipped inverse of standard manual instructions, etc.

Next time take the time and do a lot of bench testing. The heli manual is going to be of limited use due to your non-standard setup. You better bet is to use the manual for your FBL unit and follow it's setup instructions. Some are pretty good with walking you through the steps and what to be looking for when it comes to swash movements and whatnot for testing settings. Make sure the swash is correcting the right way. That it moves correctly for cyclic and pitch inputs. That the tail corrects properly and rudder inputs move properly. All of it can and should be thoroughly tested on the bench without blades on (or the motor leads unplugged if you need blades on in order to see what is going on clearly). That is the lesson you should be taking away from this, because it was pure luck it didn't hit you or someone else or damage anything of importance.

Top Bottom