Carbon Z Yak 54 3x An amazing plane

Tony

Staff member
That plane looks fantastic in the air! Just need to get some kind of runway to land the poor thing lol. I have the same issue here at my house.

Ken Jackson

Thought it was just the field but my VisionAire lands OK there. Thinking about replacing the landing gear. Haven't set it done without tipping once, Lol. The field does suck. I'm probably moving back north to Chicago so I'll find a better place.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
My 50" Edge can land in grass just fine, but my 40" planes in the same grass does what yours is doing. Just noses over. No damage, just looks really bad lol. Have thought about getting some mat to put down for a temp runway.

Robert Sweet

I have kids and I used there old ABC puzzle foam mats as a landing strip works great with all of my planes big or small you can get foam mat anywhere for cheap I just reused there's

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Robert Sweet

Beautiful yak by the way I've been wanting one after watching I think I'm buying one now

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ken Jackson

Unfortunately I crashed it. I was at a RC 3D festival and was having a great day. When you fly with people better than you it generally brings your skill level up a notch. There were some awesome planes there and I shot a bunch of video including my crash. It was a new camera and I changed a focus setting I shouldn't have so all the video was too blurry to see anything. I really wanted to see what happened just before I put my YAK into the dirt. I know I was doing things with it I'd never done before. Anyway here are a few pics from the 3D fest.

DSCN1709.jpgDSCN1710.jpgDSCN1711.jpgDSCN1712.jpgDSCN1717.jpgDSCN1718.jpgDSCN1719.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1710.jpg

DSCN1711.jpg

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1719.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Damn, bad luck dude! Any chance of rebuilding it, or is it a rekit? This is the one thing that I'm scared about with my balsa planes they don't make anymore.

Ken Jackson

Being a foamy I think I can glue it back together. I think I bent the motor shaft, at the very least the prop adaptor. One wing is cracked on the end but not severed so I think it's repairable. It was one of those bittersweet things cause everything before the crash was absolutely amazing. Couldn't believe it was me flying it. I'll rebuild it. My VisionAire has been rebuilt (glued) 3 times and it flies fine. All the servos and electronics are fine. Have to glue the rudder hinges and one of the Ailerons.

DSCN1787.jpg

DSCN1788.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't going to post those pics, very embarrassing but it's part of the sport.

Ken

DSCN1787.jpg

DSCN1788.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Nothing to be embarrassed about I assure you. That is less damage than I thought it would be. And forgot it was foam, thought it was balsa. A little hot glue and she will be back up in the air tomorrow lol.

rjhenry

I've hot glued my foam super cub more times than I care to admit, but it never broke at a glue joint, always somewhere new. the fus got so heavy
I finally had to replace it LOL

Ken Jackson

In my experience using hot glue on small areas has never been a problem. But looking at the nose of the fuselage in the photo above how would you apply hot glue to such a large surface? By the time you covered the area with glue the starting point would already be cooled off. Hence why I use CA, so I have time to get glue where I want it and then quick set to solidify the glue instantly.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
It's all good no matter what way you do it. The key here is to find some thing that works and go with it and get back up in the air. I always use hot glue. Yup, you have to move pretty quickly. I myself have never used foam safe CA. Never even owned the stuff. Might need to try it. I know it's a hell of a lot thinner than hot glue lol.

Got that plane repaired yet? :chuckles:

Top Bottom