450 Can't go any cheaper than a 450

chrisrock

Well I bought my self a Hustler 450 V1 from ebay and some electronics, my current CopterX 450 BA crashed yesterday, so I figured I'm gonna need a fleet of helis to keep me in the air. I couldn't resist the $20 free shipping for the hustler 450, that I had to get it. Last one! :) I got some cyclic servos TP clones I think. I also got a tgy 306g HV all from ebay. I've been reading up in this forum and a lot of people here seem to be on flybarless, so I'm thinking may be it's time to dip my feet in the water and see what this fbl is all about. I just pulled the trigger again for a 450 DFC head from gogorc on ebay and I also bought a flybarless gyro too on ebay $40 free shipping, and it's blue, similar color to my heli. I'll post some pics when my heli parts arrive and show the final build pics. As for my BA, I've ordered some more parts and hopefully I can get her back in the air soon. :hump:

Graham Lawrie

Good luck:) Expensive hobby this:( I started down the cheap route on a coaxial and spent enough I could have got a Trex 200:( Cheap is good to start but is false economy. Save up and add a flight sim:) saves a fortune:)

Lee

GOGORC was my go to shop for my clone 450s.
Always had good service.
The clone helis got me into this hobby, and I don't regret that,
but the difference in quality and flight characteristics is night and day compared to Brand name.
Good luck with the rebuild Chris :)

chrisrock

Good luck:) Expensive hobby this:( I started down the cheap route on a coaxial and spent enough I could have got a Trex 200:( Cheap is good to start but is false economy. Save up and add a flight sim:) saves a fortune:)

Yeah that's true. I got my self a simulator not long a go, I've been practicing every day, well I try. :)

- - - Updated - - -

GOGORC was my go to shop for my clone 450s.
Always had good service.
The clone helis got me into this hobby, and I don't regret that,
but the difference in quality and flight characteristics is night and day compared to Brand name.
Good luck with the rebuild Chris :)

Yeah I saw your pics on Woody's thread, you have a couple of 450 helis in the pics. That's the reason I thought I need more than one heli. :)

chrisrock

Good to have a back up!

Yep, that looks like the way to go. I just bought more parts today, heaps of CF blades, landing gears(skids), heaps of tail blades, booms, main and fs shafts etc etc... Slowly stocking up with parts, so that I wont have to wait too long to repairs my crashed helis.

Barge

You have a great attitude to succeed in the challenging world of RC helis, I really hope you enjoy success in the near future. As far as parts go it is probably not a bad investment to buy two helis and save a fortune in the long term on buying individual parts. Cheers.

Last edited:

chrisrock

You have a great attitude to succeed in the challenging world of RC helis, I really hope you enjoy success in the near future. As far as parts go it is probably not a bad investment to buy two helis and save a fortune in the long term on buying individual parts. Cheers.

hmm saving a fortune with this kind of hobby, especially trying to learn to fly 3D, doesn't seem to comply. I've read some of the threads here on RCH and I've seen some crash photos, so going by that and also by my crashing experience(9 times now), a heli hobby is an expensive hobby.

Anyways I did more research, and it would seem that on a flybarless system the cyclic servos would work much harder. So having plastic gear servos like the TP or any plastic servos for that matter would work but only for a limited lifespan. So going by that, I decided to buy some MG servos the ES09MD and see how they perform. If these servos wont last the distance then I would go for the more expensive brands kst/tgy306/RJX servos.

rotary174

I placed 4 orders last week to HK....it's a great feeling to know you've got goodies coming down the pike. My second HK-450, a new Turnigy 9X v2....batteries, electronics and spare parts. Anticipation, even though I already have these things, is bliss.

chrisrock

Yeah I bought a lot of parts, several sport V3 main frames from ebay $20 free shipping, since I realised there was a couple of cracks on my copterx 450 BA main frame a result from the last crash.

Barge

hmm saving a fortune with this kind of hobby, especially trying to learn to fly 3D, doesn't seem to comply.

I agree, as everybody does that the heli thing is expensive, all I was trying to highlight Chris is that a complete heli purchased as parts would probably cost 100+% compared to a complete unit, and I'm quite sure that over time you would use most of the bits. I have seen helis advertised here in Oz for sale with a near complete unit for parts.

Cheers

chrisrock

I agree, as everybody does that the heli thing is expensive, all I was trying to highlight Chris is that a complete heli purchased as parts would probably cost 100+% compared to a complete unit, and I'm quite sure that over time you would use most of the bits. I have seen helis advertised here in Oz for sale with a near complete unit for parts.

Cheers

You're right.

murankar

Staff member
Buying a kit will always be cheaper. One the thing for sure is that a super combo from align is way way cheaper than the sum of the parts. For what you get in the kit the price is tough to beat.

Just think you'll have enough stuff for a few crashes and maintenance needs.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

hawk-i

I also have used the emax servos from ebay . I personally think there great and at a good price. If your new to the hobby like I am there also are some 325mm wooden blades on ebay that they are selling for $1.88 per set and I think about $5.00 shipping. I order 10 sets at a time. There not the best but they seem to balance out well and when you crash you didn't kill a $35.00 set of carbon fiber blades. I'm to the point in this hobby where I'm trying new moves that comes with a few crash's. I'm getting away from the cheap main shafts off ebay because they seem a bit soft. I guess some things you cant cut corners on. Just a little food for thought.

chrisrock

I also have used the emax servos from ebay . I personally think there great and at a good price. If your new to the hobby like I am there also are some 325mm wooden blades on ebay that they are selling for $1.88 per set and I think about $5.00 shipping. I order 10 sets at a time. There not the best but they seem to balance out well and when you crash you didn't kill a $35.00 set of carbon fiber blades. I'm to the point in this hobby where I'm trying new moves that comes with a few crash's. I'm getting away from the cheap main shafts off ebay because they seem a bit soft. I guess some things you cant cut corners on. Just a little food for thought.

thank you.

thanks guys

rotary174

For most people there are 2 certainties in life. You will pay taxes and you will (eventually) die. If you're a RC helicopter pilot....you will crash. lol

chrisrock

For most people there are 2 certainties in life. You will pay taxes and you will (eventually) die. If you're a RC helicopter pilot....you will crash. lol

That is why I am setting myself up(stocking up in parts), I use to be in the army, the moto was be prepared. Thank god for ebay, I just bought a couple of emax 3700 motors and a couple of ICE 60A ESC with prog card.

rotary174

The problem is the waiting. I placed 3 orders to Hobby King last Tuesday....1 to Hong Kong and another to the USA warehouse a few hours apart. My 4th order was for an XT battery and that was late Wednesday. The battery was shipped first and will arrive today. But the rest will arrive Wed and the most important order (my new HK-450) won't be here until Friday. Go figure.

Top Bottom