General Can a helicopter actually be flown WITHOUT a gyro

Well, I'm 38 years old, so you might be old enough to be my Dad, lol.

And it's quite obvious that we can't talk you out of this decision of yours so I might as well support you, lol. I hope it works for ya.

As far as the Mobius on the tail boom, just be sure to check and recheck your CG because that added weight on the tail will make the helicopter tail heavy. Also, be aware of a possible "blade strike". Keep the Mobius out of harms way on the tail.

I wish ya luck with this!!!

My eldest daughter was born in 1975, so work that one out...lmao

I've just been messing about with CoG, using Lees idea. I've moved the battery fractionally forward to equal the weight.

The möbius is tie wrapped around the fin.. Should be ok..

Thanks for your support Derek, if it lifts an inch then crashes at least I've tried to do it... And will have the videos...lol

Admiral

Hi Tony, I have flown without a gyro but had a four blade head, I only got about 6" off the ground for about 30 seconds, had very little control over the tail but the cyclic was good, I got it down without damage and fitted an FBL unit. I believe that a four blade head and tail gyro will fly OK but an FBL unit takes all the risk out of it.

It was a pointless exercise but satisfied my curiosity, I wish you luck, and hope that you satisfy your curiosity without wrecking your helicopter or yourself.

Hi Tony, I have flown without a gyro but had a four blade head, I only got about 6" off the ground for about 30 seconds, had very little control over the tail but the cyclic was good, I got it down without damage and fitted an FBL unit. I believe that a four blade head and tail gyro will fly OK but an FBL unit takes all the risk out of it.

It was a pointless exercise but satisfied my curiosity, I wish you luck, and hope that you satisfy your curiosity without wrecking your helicopter or yourself.

thanks Keith

yeah i recon a 4 blade would be better but im not spending anything to do this, other than the feathering shafts...lol, cant wait till they get here.... ive read up quite a bit on REVO mix, so ill see what i can do with that, although i think with a low enough head speed i should be able to control the tail with constant rudder input. apparently REVO mix doesnt add the correct tail pitch anyway all the time, and still needs some manual input...

its all a learning curve for me, and to gain experience, even if its only for a few seconds...

im not bothered at all if the heli crashes, it will be fixable, been there so many times now...lol...there wont be another person in sight, nor be any property to damage.

thanks for the support

murankar

Staff member
This discussion wants me to ask "then whats a no bar?"

I think it should work. Problem is the fact that head speed is critical for stability and safety. Can it be done, sure maybe but skillz are needed.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

This discussion wants me to ask "then whats a no bar?"

I think it should work. Problem is the fact that head speed is critical for stability and safety. Can it be done, sure maybe but skillz are needed.

What do you mean by "no bar" Matthius...

I will do my best to get zero pitch at 50, and ensure the blades are perfectly balanced, as for head speed, this will be experimental I think so I have enough to get past any normal resonant oscillations to get it airborne.. I am hoping with good mechanics it will hover ok..

murankar

Staff member
Basically its zero stabilization on the heli. There are videos on you tube and more info on it on the runryder forum.

Most old school rc heli pilots who flew multi bladed heads would fly without stabilization.

Top Bottom