Building my own landing pad

stokke

I've come to outgrow the soccer field which I have been flying at up to now. Or, at least I do not dare as much when I feel confined within a small space. SO, I have hatched out a plan to build a small landing pad near one of the many fields which surrounds our apartment.

I walked around a bit today, looking for the optimal place. Actually going places I've never been, and we have lived here for almost two years :D After a while I stumbled over this perfect field, hidden in a sort of valley.
panorama.jpg

Yesterday I visited my father, who happens to be a carpenter ;) He supplied me with some building materials and some recommendations on how I should go about this. These plates are to become my pad surface.
P1000677.JPG

Trying to find a suitable place for my pad.
P1000678.JPG

P1000679.JPG

More wood, and some newly acquired tools.
P1000680.JPG

Assembly.
P1000681.JPG

P1000682.JPG

P1000683.JPG

P1000684.JPG

P1000685.JPG

Trying out for the final placement.
P1000686.JPG

Making some "feet".
P1000687.JPG

P1000688.JPG

P1000690.JPG

P1000691.JPG

Excavating earth and tearing out weeds.
P1000692.JPG

P1000693.JPG

In place!
P1000694.JPG

Got it as level as I could, but it was difficult and I settled for this. It's hard to see on the picture, but the pad tilts backwards a tad.
P1000695.JPG

I went to the hard-ware store tonight and got some more stuff. I'll continue tomorrow - style it up a bit ;)

Lee

Dude that place looks like a FPV dream site. I would love to come fly my Quad there.

stokke

Dude that place looks like a FPV dream site. I would love to come fly my Quad there.

We've been having a few sunny days lately, so the fields and forests are looking very beautiful. It sure would be nice to be "the eye in the sky" on such a day, yes :D

stokke

When arriving at where I left my landing pad yesterday, this is what met me!!

P1000696.JPG

Some A-hole had ripped it out of the ground and chucked it in the woods!!:heart-borken:
P1000697.JPG

This being right next to a "nature-walk path" I was somewhat concerned that this might happen. But I really thought people would notice that "someone has put down some hours on this, and it's not in anyone's way or anything" - and just leave it alone. BUT, NO... Well I put down some more hours today, and surely no one can be so cruel to throw this masterpiece in the woods again :D

So I put it back in place (luckily it wasn't damaged).
And set out to add some 1mm rubber surface to my pad.
P1000698.JPG

P1000699.JPG

Got some fancy tape too ;)
P1000700.JPG

P1000701.JPG

Done with the surface.
P1000702.JPG

Thickness.
P1000703.JPG

Fancy tape for the edges.
P1000704.JPG

Surface done.
P1000705.JPG

P1000706.JPG

Made a template, so I could spray the classic "heli-H" on my pad.
P1000707.JPG

P1000708.JPG

Well, it didn't come out perfect. But hey, I think most people will get the gist?
P1000709.JPG

P1000710.JPG

P1000711.JPG

P1000712.JPG

Sweet.
P1000713.JPG

Now I just hope it's still there tomorrow. LOL.

Lee

Looks great, but i'm afraid its just asking for someone to come and vandalise. Can you not remove it or hide it somewhere nearby to be set up when you are there?

stokke

You're probably right, Lee. But it's big and heavy, and I'm thinking it would be a pain to carry it in and out of hiding every time. I think I might "upgrade" it some more, make sure it's in the ground REAL good. And then get some camouflage-netting maybe? I don't know... For now, I just hope it survives the night.

stokke

You sure your not putting it on someone's property? Maybe they don't want it there?

Well, I'm sort of in a grey zone regarding who's property this is. The field I'm flying over, is of course owned by a farmer. And the path just behind my ramp/pad is on public property. But I made sure it's not on the field, and not on the path. It's just between.

But, knowing the mentality of people around these parts it's most likely; "This doesn't belong here! It's disturbing the peace of nature and scenery". I'm not sure how to put it in English, but people tend to "not mind their own business" if you know what I mean.

stokke

LOL. Can you see it? :D :)

P1000714.JPG

P1000715.JPG

P1000716.JPG

The camo is secured with staples in the front there. So when flying, the camo is tucked under the frame. I also hammered down some nails around the pad, this to secure the camo when it's folded over. It became like 300% more anonymous, that's for sure! LOL. Now I hope people will leave it alone.

murankar

Staff member
get some shrubbery to put on top also. help belnd it in with the materieals in the woods, just dont over do it then it wont look natural.

Tony

Staff member
If they did it once, they will do it again. Remember, the heli is only 3 lbs, so you don't need a lot of thickness to your pad. I would make a folding pad that doesn't weigh much. That way you can just carry it with you.

stokke

If they did it once, they will do it again. Remember, the heli is only 3 lbs, so you don't need a lot of thickness to your pad. I would make a folding pad that doesn't weigh much. That way you can just carry it with you.

That's exactly what my GF said too. But I'll continue to use the pad until something horrible happens to it :(

Tony

Staff member
Yes for sure. I have some ideas, I just have to sit down and put them on paper to map them out. Once I do, I will put them here on the forum.

Top Bottom