450 Building a “Not So cheap†Helicopter

Seajays

I would like to build this version, but really don't want to go over the top. I have read Tony's article and complied a list of parts from it. But I am sure there is lots more I need. Can anyone give me a more complete list of parts. Also a alternative motor that I can order from HK as it is hard to find the Alpha 400....Thanks

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ok reading the article.. what does your part list looking like till now..? Mind posting it? .. what do you already have and what do you think you might need more? Definitely would love to provide you with more info , but dont wanna repeat anything which you already have.. :) Will help us help you :)

as far as the motor for 450 is concerned.. I will look at HK's website.. mainly what you are looking for in a motor is

Cells : 3s (11.1 v)
Wattage: 400~500W
KV-- 3500kv

if you can find a motor around that rating, you would be good. I will look at HK and may be I can help you find one. :)

murankar

Staff member
One motor line which is no to bad is the exceed helium motor from xheli/hobbypartz.com. its a green motor and both sites have three 450 sizes. I would suggest the 3500 kv if it is in stock. Last I checked it was around $25 plus shipping. Its not the best but it will get you in the air.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
motor choices :
1) NTM Rotor Drive 450 Series 3400KV / 500W
pros.. 500W 3400kv.. specs are near the Align 450mx AND the pinion shaft is 3.5mm so Align pinions would fit, so you can play with the head speeds as needed While thats true.. The max burst on load is 46A. Means your ESC needs to have a capacity to that can handle 46A for say 5-10seconds on surge.. As far as I am concerned this would be a great motor jsut looking at the specs.. But be careful picking the esc

2)Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2215H Heli Motor 3550kv (450 class)

this motor is actually 4000kv as people say down below in the comments.
Pros : continuous current is not that high. so longer flight times. Good for beginner. Wont have to be picky on esc. any old 35a esc will do
Cons: Specific 3.17mm pinion, which you will need to buy from HK. its pretty high on KV, so you'll have to be a little careful of the headspeed ( and thus calculate the pinion size accordingly). Power is just enough.

3) Turnigy L2822-3700 Brushless Heli Motor (420w) right in the middle of the two. just enough wattage . 3.5mm shaft. 3700kv.. so a 13t pinion will be great. more power than #2 but less than #1 .. Again good for beginner tp mild 3D.

depending on how you fly.. or if you plan to upgrade or not.. you can pick your choose :)

Seajays

Here is my list so fare. I am beginner. i am also in a wheelchair, but like to build things. I did build a Thunder Raptor Gas Heli , but could not find anyone to give me any guidance and help. So I sold it. So I need all the help I can get. I want to build with good parts, but not over the top. I also live in Canada, so to order from Hong Kong takes about the same time as USA.

ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C
XT60 - Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pai..
Turnigy-3S - Turnigy balancer & Charger 2S-3S
TY2215-3550 - Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2215H Heli Motor 35..
HK450GT - HK-450GT CCPM 3D Full Alloy Helicopter K..
BOX-439g - Extra Length Cardboard Box and Packing 4..
GA-250 - HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro
MG90S - Turnigy MG90S Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg / 1..
HK-171 - HK-171 Thread Locker & Sealant Medium St..

Adam

I will tell you that I had no problems building the HK gt and found it to be of good quality. I still have mine so i can help alot if you need to and i am actually tearing mine apart and putting an align motor and esc new servos and the whole nine yard i will be posting pictures when i rebuild

- - - Updated - - -

And you will need a pitch gauge if you dont already have one

murankar

Staff member
If Tony chimes in tonight he is going to suggest ordering from the U.S. Personally I have only placed one order with HobbyKing and I was not let down, bu then again I was expecting the worst from them when I ordered. Time to the states was about a month for to Hex drivers and a backlight kit for the TH9X. When I was starting out I too looked agt HK and had everything priced out, then I found out that they did not ship to military addresses so I had to start all over and I chose Xheli.com and hobbypartz.com. I had almost the same setup but on an EXI 450 Pro.

Since Then I have upgraded all of the electronics except TX/RX which is still on the TH9X. I now run what I think is top quality electronics on a low quality heli. For now it works but I am looking at a new bird soon. You may find yourself in the same spot once you get some air time. As of right now the Align parts I am running are as follows: Main shaft, main gear, pinion gear and canopy. I have switched to Tarot for the tail output shaft (I have found these to be real durable on stiff/hard landings), you might be able to use the shaft replacement for the T-Rex 450 Sport V2. My main blades are Horizon Hobbies' Revolution 325mm C.F. for flybar.

You will find that the HK 450 requires more building than the EXI, a lot more but still not a COMPLETE build. Take your time and you will have fun building it, personally I found the build more addicting than the flying.

Tony

Staff member
There are some pretty good Canadian suppliers up there. I would hunt them down and see what you can come up with. I know you are not wanting to go over the top, but just remember, you get what you pay for. Bang for buck, Align Super Combos are the way to go. My $0.02

Seajays

Ok, I have decided on EXI Pro shaft drive and I will try to keep it the same as Tony suggests in this build if I can get the parts. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Tony, when do you think you will start this build?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
tony's 450 build is the same as the exi.. That build video be it for align HK or EXI .. its all the same. You can use parts from Align 450 Pro straight to fit your heli. so just follow his build video for say his align 450 pro. that is the exact same heli as your exi shaft driven pro

- - - Updated - - -

and +1 to what murankar said. much less head ache for a begineer. Torque tube (shaft driven) helis are not recommended as beginners. the slightest tail blade touch in the ground and your TT gears will be stripped..

murankar

Staff member
Yeah they got a lot of stuff out of stock as of right now. So I can't even order my repair parts I need.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
murankar.. what parts are you looking for ? Just put align in it for parts.. slowly move towards align.. :) you'll see the difference! :)

exi belt one.. I think ( i am not a 100percent) ... because that was my first heli, but they had a newer version come out had Pro body and everything but a sport's tail dirve fitted in making it hard to replace stuff as you had to take the boom block apart to take the belt off.

anywaz.. what versions are y'all looking at buying / repairing ?

murankar

Staff member
My exi pro belt drive. Look in my its fixed post. I listed what I think is trashed. Not sure of the head block yet.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure what build you are referring to me starting. I dont' have any builds in the works or plans at the moment. No time and no money lol.

murankar

Staff member
His old EXI PRO that was in the video is 90% the same build as the belt version. It's a simple build for the most part, the one thing that might be tough is the setup of the head and gyro. You will need to remove all the screws that go into metal and thread lock them. When doing the build also pay attention to the bearings and make sure they run smooth. Last thing have a high quality bearing oil on hand so you can lube the bearings as your thread locking.

Top Bottom