Build Video Opinion

Should I Make A Build Video Of The HK450GT Pro?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

Staff member
Should I do a build video on the HK450GT Pro that I just received today? If you combine my Pro build that I already did and the tail from the HK450GT, you will have the build. However the Pro build is almost an hour long so maybe I should redo it. It's the members choice. You guys decide whether I do or don't. Give your opinions. Also give me specifics on what you would like to see in the video if you want me to redo it.

murankar

Staff member
If you do I would take down the old exi build. I then would do the final setup stuff as a part two. The only setup stuff that needs to be covered would be the initial servo setup. This task would be easier done with the servos out of the air frame.

One other thing I would change is to install the motor first to set gear mesh. By doing so you will not have to remove the servos after installing them.

Something else I would like to know is if hk has made any improvements to the quality of the final product.

Now that you have a dx8 the setup might be a little different than a dx6. These are just my thoughts.

murankar

Staff member
thanks Paul!

I watch the hour long video just to pass the time because I love it. After seeing so many times (I downloaded it) it bothers me to see Tony install the servos with thread locker just to remove them to install the motor. If a noob does this it will increase his/her chances of getting the blue stuff on the plastic and possibly destroying perfectly good servos. I also believe that since Tony did such a great job covering the DX6 I think he could do the same with the DX8.

As for the quality, well it has been sometime since HK has been producing this model I would like to see if they actually listen to the people who buy these things. I remember Tony going on an OCD tangent about the bearings on one other video, he took the dust covers off of one side to clean them. I would like to see if this sort of thing has been addressed by the makers.

Since he is starting with a new bunch of servos I think this could be a great chance to actually give his input on these servos. I actually think this cold be a completely new build since a lot of variables have changed.

Tony

Staff member
lmao, yeah I forgot all about going off on that lol. The tail on this one feels very smooth and I think I just need to put some thread lock on it and it will be good. I will install the motor as one of the first things I do. Other than the belt, the build is exactly the same, you just have to remember to put a 1/4 twist to the right on the belt for proper movement of the tail.

I want to get this thing in the air so bad that I dont' want to do a video. But I know it must be done. From what I have read here, this is true.

One issue I have found on the servos is when you are mounting them to the top of the mounting bracket (on the servo it's self) you will have to trim off some material from the servo case. It has an angle that the heli won't accept. I'm a little worried this may create a weak spot in teh servo, but we will see. I did a dry fit of some of the parts last night and did find the tail boom needs to be shortened on both ends. But I will cover all of this in the video series. Should be about 6 videos long unless I do another long one lmao.

murankar

Staff member
really all the basic stuff could be skipped. We all should know by now that all HK need more assembly than the EXI and less than most other kits. I guess covering the electronics and final thoughts of the build would be enough. Now the setup would have to be a little more detailed since you would be using the DX8 unless that mimics the DX6.

Besides I like watching your howto vids,

Tony

Staff member
I will be going into great detail on the setup with the DX8, no worries there. However, I think (maybe lol) that my videos and my editing have gotten better and are not as long winded as some of my older videos. This is and would be the only reason for me to redo the built. I have covered everything from rebuilding the head to the tail and every thing in between. Oh the decisions lol. I may do it just to get some fresh heli videos up for people just getting into it. This Trainer build is actually taking a lot longer than I thought it would, but it's almost finished. I have it sitting next to me and it's just sitting here screaming "I WANT TO FLY!!!" lol. Same with my partially built heli that is on the coffee table lmao.

murankar

Staff member
more work and more work. I have to say, I have seen a few howtos in the last 6 months and yours seem to play the most. I have the hobbypartz 450 build too and the only reason I watch it is for the music and the "not so excited to finish" part near the end.

murankar

Staff member
it was around the 4th or fifth video in the series. He was talking about working on other projects and thats why it took so long to finish the build. I will have you a link tomorrow it's bed time.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I thought you were talking about one of my videos lol. No need to post the link since it's not mine. Those guys that do the hobbyparts videos are quite boring to me. Long winded with a lot of dead time in there. And almost a monotone voice. And Tony and Antonio on there are two of the most annoying hosts ever. They both talk with a lisp and to me, it's just irritating lmao.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
A build video would be nice, but since you already have a couple of them, it seems like a lot of extra work. I think you should do a time lapse of the build and then show the maiden right after!

Tony

Staff member
Well, we have 3 yes and one no so I guess we are doing the video. I have no issues with the extra work it takes to get videos out there. Maybe I can touch on something that I may have missed in the last video I did on a Pro. If you remember, it was the EXI Pro and it had major issues. I still have the crappy tail that was on it before I replaced it with an Align tail. The TT was total crap as well. I'm not sure if there just wasn't something right in it or what, but I flew it twice and stripped the gears out twice. Now, this one is a belt tail and everything seems to be smooth. Well as smooth as you can be with the thick grease they have in it lol. I will need to sand the tail boom down a little though, not a big deal. I did a dry fit the other night when I got home from work and everything looks great.

the Rc-Help Trainer videos are done and I will be uploading them today and tomorrow. Hopefully I can start shooting this heli video today and have something by the end of the week. Here's hoping.

Tony

Staff member
Well Travis, you were right. I tried to shoot a video for the build of this thing and I just couldn't come up with anything that I have not already done, so there is no video of the build. Guess we will just have to see if we can get a maiden flight video in though.

Tony

Staff member
lol. It will be the usual maybe. It's been forever since I have flown one of these things and I'm not sure if I remember how hahaha. But we are going to find out....

Tony

Staff member
Well that maiden flight didn't go as planned. I couldn't get the wag out of the tail long enough to trim the cyclic. It was 6 minutes of just fighting to keep it in a hover. Once the tail got all out of shape and I had to take it to the ground and you could see grass and dirt going everywhere lol. Ugh, I don't know if it's my servo, or the gyro. Either way, I have to fight it a lot. Oh well, guess I will wait until I have the money for an Align gyro and tail servo then take it up again. Then, I can say if it's the servo or the gyro cause I will have more things to test with. I'm not even going to edit that video and post it. It's not worth watching...

Top Bottom