450 Budget 450 clone Ordered

Lee

You are correct Stambo. The servos should be mounted to the inside of the frame for the front.
Outside for the back.
Pictures from my old 450.

100_1406.JPG

100_1409.JPG

100_1261.JPG

sarconastic

When I get home I will post pics of those frames. They use a little bracket that slides into the carbon fiber to acted as a nut and mounts them the way shown. I would have to run the screws in from the inside to make it work the other way. This doesn't make engineering sense at all. (oxymoron I know) Definitely got to figure out something to straighten those out.

I am going to sit down tonight and work on it. Last night I had some serious diaphragm/back spasms and popped some tramadol, so I am not confident I did everything up to spec :wink:. I was a little loopy by the end of the build. But happy about it lol.

Woody

murankar

Staff member
In some cases the servos have to be mounted to the frame prior to the frame being assembled.

If i remember correctly the trex sport v2 was like this. The design flaw was that you couldnt get a driver inside the frame to attach the servo. Its been almost 2 years since i looked at that design so i might be wrong.

The trex 450 pro had a flaw in assembly where you would install the servos well before setting gear mesh with the motor. The flaw was that the front servos had to be removed in order to set the mesh.

Align has had many design and assembly flaws that never really got addressed. Problem with clones is they cloned the same design flaws and in some cases its worse with the clone.

What sucks is unless your skilled at building you wouldn't know to look for the complications in the build.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

sarconastic

Thanks for all the pictures. The wild thing is the pictures in the manual show them on the outside. Even the Trex manual with this body style shows them on the outside. Am wondering if these tpro servos have a taller gear horn on them that some of the others. Oh Well doesn't matter now lol.

I was able to swap the two aileron servos, screws come in from inside. But I couldn't swap the rear servo. There is not enough room in the opening to feed the servo wires through the hole. It would sheer them off. If I were to grind it it might not have enough room for the screw. I checked movement though and because of the swash limit/guide plate there it moves up and down just the way it is supposed to. So that one will have to do. Now I just gotta get all the servo directions right.

Woody

sarconastic

Got the blades Balanced an CG is even on both blades. Length good too. Decided to go with the 50 amp ESC after seeing a post with the esc mounted on the side. So I turned the motor around so the wires come out in the middle of the bird and mounted it like that. Works really well, plus the heat-sink will get a lot of air from the main rotor. Mounted the receiver under the tail clamp bracket and zip tied the antennae to the tail boom support bar. I also striped the tail rotors just to see what it looks like, I have Carbon Fiber ones coming and don't intend to use these.
20140605_204532.jpg20140605_204422.jpg

Still waiting on the Gyro and the faster tail servo, blades and blade angle tool.

The seller got back to me today requesting pictures of the defective parts. So it sound like he is going to make it right. That is cool. We will see what happens.

Later

Woody

20140605_204532.jpg

20140605_204422.jpg

sarconastic

Got the digital Tail servo installed today. I am now a believer in better servos. I can't believe how quiet and fast the ES09D is compared to the T-Pros. It is night and day. So I think I will order some better servos to use pretty soon.

Question about servo heat. I hooked up the battery to center the new servo had the radio on for a couple of minutes, ran all the servos around a little bit for the grandson to see and when I was done they were all pretty warm. What is normal for servo temps. Do they get warm at idle just from holding everything in place. I Also noticed the Analog servos were way warmer than the digital one.

THanks

Woody

sarconastic

New delivery this morning, I thought it was the gyro, No such luck. Just Ball Link Pliers. Arghh. No flying on Fathers day for the 450 I guess.

WOody

Last edited:

chrisrock

Got the digital Tail servo installed today. I am now a believer in better servos. I can't believe how quiet and fast the ES09D is compared to the T-Pros. It is night and day. So I think I will order some better servos to use pretty soon.

Question about servo heat. I hooked up the battery to center the new servo had the radio on for a couple of minutes, ran all the servos around a little bit for the grandson to see and when I was done they were all pretty warm. What is normal for servo temps. Do they get warm at idle just from holding everything in place. I Also noticed the Analog servos were way warmer than the digital one.

THanks

Woody

You should of got the ES09MD.

The servos shouldn't get warm on idle, you might have some electrical issues

murankar

Staff member
If they are getting warm while hovering then you may have binding. If your on an Fbl then the servo settings are not set right.

sarconastic

No it is FB, and I have checked for binding but not really finding any. I haven't got my ball reamer tools yet. Once I get those I will size all the end links, there are a couple that aren't really tight but maybe could be a bit looser. and hopefully that will eliminate some of it. I will check everything before I get it off the ground.

Woody

- - - Updated - - -

Chrisrock, I looked at the MD.. After I order the D. Oh well. IT will work to get me started. Upgrade later.

The servos weren't just idling, I was moving them around, but not a ton. Basically just a long preflight check if that says anything. I am looking real hard at all digital metal servos anyway now.

I will keep working on it.

Woody

murankar

Staff member
If you banging the sticks during pre flight then they will get warm. If your being easy on them they shouldn't get warm.

chrisrock

after reading this thread, I ended up also buying a budget 450. It a hustler 450 V1. I know what was I thinking???:facepalm: It was on ebay for $20 free shipping. Anyways I now have a budget 450 on the way, I just ordered some TP clone servos too, yes it was very cheap for a set of 3. I also ordered a Turnigy 306g HV for the tail servo, that wasn't cheap, it's more expensive than the 450 kit + cyclic servos. So all this stuff should be in the mail soon. This should keep me busy for awhile. :mailboxhappy:

rotary174

Great series of posts Woodie. I've been bitten by a Blade SR which tore my shirt and cut my arm. Could have been a lot worse. I now use every safety precaution recommended, including a start up check list which denotes awareness of any activity around me, switch positions etc. I also joined the AMA and will only fly at approved fields....even for testing and adjustments....though I have a safe stand for setting up ESC's and blade / gyro adjustments. Had it been my 450....wow, don't want to think about it. Later
Gary

sarconastic

Gyro is here, had a really busy weekend so no time to set the rest up. But will be working on it this week. Hopefully test hovering before the next weekend. So much to do so little time. LOL

Murakar, I don't think I was banging on the sticks but it is a possibility. While I am setting up this week I will be going over every aspect of servo travel, endpoints etc. to make sure I am not overdriving anything or hitting physical limits as well. So we will see what happens.

Congrats on that buy Chrisrock. Sounds pretty good. Just make sure you check over everything and take your time building and you should be ok. Listen, learn and re-listen before trying anything is what I do.

Rotary174, I have caught myself looking at the MCPx as a smaller cp heli to play with. Just haven't found an affordable one yet. The higher heads speed is a little scary compared to my v911 etc. but I need something to fly in the warehouse in the winter that is not fixed pitch.

Woody

chrisrock

Gyro is here, had a really busy weekend so no time to set the rest up. But will be working on it this week. Hopefully test hovering before the next weekend. So much to do so little time. LOL

Murakar, I don't think I was banging on the sticks but it is a possibility. While I am setting up this week I will be going over every aspect of servo travel, endpoints etc. to make sure I am not overdriving anything or hitting physical limits as well. So we will see what happens.

Congrats on that buy Chrisrock. Sounds pretty good. Just make sure you check over everything and take your time building and you should be ok. Listen, learn and re-listen before trying anything is what I do.

Rotary174, I have caught myself looking at the MCPx as a smaller cp heli to play with. Just haven't found an affordable one yet. The higher heads speed is a little scary compared to my v911 etc. but I need something to fly in the warehouse in the winter that is not fixed pitch.

Woody

Thanks Woody, I've been watching a lot of youtube videos, this is where I'm getting all my information from. :) On my BA 450 I had fusonic servos, but I got several emax servos, and HTX900 servos. One of the many parts that I ordered on ebay.

sarconastic

I got my CF flybar paddles today.They look really cool woith the red and black stripes but the dang holes are too bog to fit the flybar I have. Mine just slide in and out. Do they make different sizes?

WOody

sarconastic

I am having a hell of a time getting the pitch values equal on the head of the Hausler. This head comes with fixed links between the Main Blade Holders and the Seesaw and the mixers.
I followed Finless bobs CCPM setups. Got the swash level. Then I check the pitch at full throttle and adjust it using the Swash AFR Menu. Drop it down and get both blades at 10 degrees. Looks good, repeatability is acceptable for what the head is. Then I switch to 0 throttle and check and the pitch is all over the place. One side is like -4-5 degrees and the other is -8 degrees. What gives here? There is a little play in the head but not that much. I could understand if they were uneven on top but not the bottom. When you set your pitch do you apply pressure tot eh blades in a certain direction to remove any play so that :):):) is the same on all settings? The CCPm interaction is very minimal, less than a degree. If the two bottoms were both just 8 degrees then I am just looking at adjusting the height of the Swash aint I to get it more centered. Or would I adjust endpoints? I finally walked away last night, my head was hurting. Will attack again tonight.
DSC00367edit.jpg

Woody

DSC00367edit.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom