1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

General Buddy Box

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by Matt, Feb 12, 2019.

< Which 700 You Like? | Swp >
  1. Matt

Matt Member

Blog Posts:
    How many people buddy boxed with someone to learn to fly or did the majority of you learn alone without help from someone else?

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    I learned alone, but had no one else to help out.

3. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Blog Posts:
    Soldier
    Learned on my own. Never had hardware or clubs / people to work with. I started with training gear and moved on from there.

4. sneezy007

sneezy007 I Support Rc-Help! Rc-Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Geophysical Technician (Retired)
    Home Page:
    I learned alone as well and have had great support from everyone on RC-Help.
    Dino

5. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    A little of both ( on an airplane )....

In my mid-teens, my Dad did give me a couple of lessons ( 2-3 ) without a buddy box, just handing the transmitter back and forth. I did purchase a heli ( a Cricket ) a little later but never got time to actually fly it by myself or with someone with any experience. That pretty much stopped my RC endeavors during that timeframe.

Then I got back into it in 2010... I got a copy of Realflight and just flew on that for a couple of months. In March, I joined a local club and never seemed to catch anyone at the field... so I just went for it alone finally. I had a 57" P-51D Mustang ( an Airfield foamy ). I went out, pointed her south and gave it almost full stick... flew around several times and then just about the time I felt I should land it... one of the other members showed up just in time to see me land using the short strip since the wind had shifted on me. While it came in a little hot at least I didn't nose it over and I was pretty happy with everything, the take off, flight and landing. After I got it taxied in... the other member came up and introduced himself. He asked how long I'd been flying and I mentioned that was my first time which sort of surprised him. He said I did great on the landing considering that and then also mentioned they ( the club ) usually requires that new members first get "qualified" by someone in the club before they are allowed to fly by themselves but it didn't look that'd be needed now... and then chuckled a bit. After a little bit of chit chat... I changed batteries and went again. The landing wasn't as good as the first and I did nose it over but nothing was damaged.

I also swore off on ever getting another floamy plane again... even as a new pilot I could "feel" how wiggly they were in the air. I did try to stiffen various areas of the Mustang but each time I flew it, it'd still not be a stable as I wanted. Next I got an Airborne Model's Mustang ( 46-48" can't remember now ) and it was a night and day difference from the foamy.

6. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Randy is not cool enough for the heli crowd. He is one of them that looked down at me when I pulled out my helicopter at the flying field... Just kidding of course :chuckles:

7. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Only... I wasn't looking down on you because of the heli... LMAO :D

8. holtneil

holtneil Active Member

Blog Posts:
    I learnt alone but I do buddy box my wife on her 230s

9. fran11784

fran11784 Member Goblin 380 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I began flying helicopters when all we had were rate mechanical gyros and nitro engines. Took me 6 months before I could hover without the training gear.... It was the only way to learn back then

10. holtneil

holtneil Active Member

Blog Posts:
    They were big helis as well . It cost an average of £30 for 30 seconds hover before I crashed took me about 6 months before I could take off hover and land the 6 min battery life , worth it tho still can't do 3D

11. Admiral

Admiral I Support Rc-Help! Rc-Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Information Technology (Retired)
    A little bit of buddy box when I went from sailplanes to power planes, flew OK but my landings were appalling.
    Helicopter was on my own, a very frustrating way to learn, should have gone from Co-Axial straight to 450 CP would have been easier than working my way up.

< Which 700 You Like? | Swp >