Other Buddy box setup

Stambo

Just wondering if it is possible to buddy box 2 different TXs.
I am almost ready to let my 4yo son have a go with a V959, he is doing so well on the sim.
JUst wondering if anyone new whether it is possible to buddy box 9x to 9xr?
Taranis to 9x would be good too.
Just not sure whether the trainer port uses the same type of signal on different TXs or if they each have their own proprietary signal.

Tony

Staff member
Being they are both Turnigy products, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. But, I'm not really sure if it will work in fact. Only one way to find out though.

Derek

hmmmm, I saw "Buddy Box" in the title and thought maybe I could be helpful. However, since you are talking about the Taranis and Turnigy tx's...I'm afraid that I won't be of any help at all. You'll probably look for murankar to post. He seems to be the "9x" guy. I hope you can get it worked out buddy!!!

murankar

Staff member
I would gues it would depend on the firmware. Tiranis is flashed with a version of opentx that is for that controller. You would have to use the same firmware in the TH9X or 9XR. Now this does not guarantee success. Normally the TXs have to be identical.

Derek

I would gues it would depend on the firmware. Tiranis is flashed with a version of opentx that is for that controller. You would have to use the same firmware in the TH9X or 9XR. Now this does not guarantee success. Normally the TXs have to be identical.

That makes sense to me.

You should be able to buddy box 9X to 9XR, but the other thing to look at would be what modules you're running. I would've thought that they would both need to have the same branded module in it.
I can't imangine one radio running dsm and the other frsky both being able to buddy box with eachother even if it is the same radio.
But if they both run frsky or DSMX or other variants, then they should be able to be used together to buddy box.

Stambo

I do know that the buddy box radio does not use its own module so that should not make a difference.
I have also read of people using those cheap TXs you get with rtf helis as a buddy box on flashed 9x.
But no or poor instructions on how they did it.
I have been trawling the net for info and it seems that as long as the slave outputs a ppm signal on its trainer port it has a chance of working.
I shall experiment with my old esky tx to see if it will couple to my 9x.
There is some dip switches behind the batteries that are supposed to change the output signal so I will play with those and see what happens.

Karubah

I have been buddy boxing with my Dx8 to a JR 11 and it works ok and he is flying mode 1 and I'm mode 2 learning to fly planes.

Graham Lawrie

I buddy box regular on a DX6 to DX8 I thought it ran off the settings on the master as the slave is a blank model?

Stambo

I know this is an older thread but the topic is the same.
I have managed to get a stock Turnigy 9x radio buddy boxed to my Taranis.
Taranis as master and 9x as slave.
I can limit which channels I allow the student (my 5yo son) to control.
At the moment I am giving him aileron and elevator although on the sim he does everything.
He has been flying a V949 quad outside and a V911 heli around the lounge.
Next time I have him here I will give him full control.
It is so easy to take over and recover when something goes wrong.
He is keen to try a 450 size quad and eventually I will let him, on way reduced rates of course.
With the Taranis I can assign some DR and expo to the trainer switch so when I take over I am back to full control.
I am quickly learning there is so much you can do with this opentx firmware and so many ways to do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom