Motors Brushless motor help

I'm sure this is probably covered in the helis section somewhere, but i'm trying to work out a good motor combination for a 1/8th scale stadium truck.
If it comes with a 2350kv motor, is a 4168 2650kv motor an upgrade? or do I need to go the other direction with the kv number

Tony

Staff member
going up on the KV will spin the motor faster. However, a 3s upgrade is what most people do with cars and trucks. Most of them run on 2s. If the motor can handle it, stick a 3s on there and you will gain another 8695 rpm. However, you may have to buy a different motor to run 3s, be sure to check so you don't burn it up.

The one I was looking can take a 4s. I think it could handle a 6s also. With a faster spinning motor, what happens to the torque and power?
I was looking at having something I can put 6s in just for you know what and giggles

Tony

Staff member
haha, yeah. I hope your pockets are deep because you would be burning through tires faster than you can glue up another set lmao.

As long as you are increasing voltage, you will gain power. Trust me, going from 2s to 3s you will notice a HUGE difference. However, when you start getting up into the 4s range, then you will want to start looking at lower kv motors. The lower teh kv (generally), the more torque. The higher the kv, the more rpm.

ok so if i'm running 6s batteries, then maybe dropping down to a 2000kv motor would probably be the way to go?
I'm planning on having a few sets of wheels and spares on hand!! haha I can imangine kicking up the voltage and increasing power will cause several parts to wear out a lot quicker, so I want to be able to switch them over. I may just keep the stock motor, upgrade the esc, then I can have a 4s and 6s set up that I can use.
Change set up in the radio depending on what battery pack i'm running. Race set up, bash set up, and let see how fast we can go set up

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like a plan to me. As for what kv with a 6s setup, I have no clue honestly. When I touched my last car/truck motor, it still had brushes in it lmao.

fhahaha that long ago!! hahaha
Yeah my old touring car still has brushes, and I could drift it quite nicely once upon a time!!
I am thinking of fixing it up and converting over to brushless and see if I can get it up and going and turn it into a nice little touring car again!
It was fun to drive. Upgrade the shock, new pinion and drive gears, and new belt for the 4x4 system in it

Tony

Staff member
I still have a brand new Billy Easton Brush Butcher in the box. It was used to cut striations and grooves in brushes. I was worried I would wear my old one out so I purchased another one lol. Never used it and never could sell it. Shortly after that, brushless took over and I just stuck it in a box. I miss all the work you used to have to do to those things. There could be 2 hours between heats and I would be doing something to my car or truck lmao. Loved working on those and miss racing like crazy. Just don't have the grand to get back into it.

Yeah was speaking to the guy in the hobby shop on thursday night, and he said the same thing. he used to have the 6 battery packs for a day racing the one car, and then spare brushes and all the stuff he used to do between heats etc.
I can still see the guys doing the same things, but will be more set up things with steering, suspension, radio set up etc.
Was going to layby the car, but don't think I can wait... will pull the trigger on monday i think... should take a day or so to arrive

xokia

I runs a 6s setup in my truck 2200kv the truck is stupid fast and will do back flips at 40 mph top speed is 65mph. I'd say the upper half of the throttle range is completely unusable. I dial my tx down to only give 50% throttle and its still stupid fast and I get about 20min run time. If you don't have a programmable tx I'd say a 4s or 5s would be the max you would want.

Last edited:
I will end up with a programmable tx, hopefully only a few days after getting the truck.
I'm going to get two lots of 4s packs to start off with. That should be more than enough to get me going and get used to it all again.
After that then I can look at kicking it up a few notches if I'm enjoying it.

Top Bottom