450 brake plate and tail boom

itonkatom1

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me what the purpose is for the "brake plate" that is on top the rotor head. I have managed to strip the screw and cant keep it on now. And is their any damage that could be done (even in the long run). My second question is on the tail boom. Their is like a "pilot hole" near the end of the boom on the tail rotor end. what is that hole thier for and what if anything am I missing to do when I assemble the tail boom to tail rotor head.
Thanks again in advance. Tommy

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
The one on the end where the tail blade assembly sits is just made for alignment.

There is a slot in one side that grabs a plastic (/metal) key or something inside the tail boom holder. And then the one in the back is there for alignment.

While this deigns was used in older helicopters, can still be used in your heli , but you are not missing anything.

Bigger helis have a circular key like structure ok the tail blades holding Block too so that you don't have to eye your tail output shaft to be perpendicular to the main shaft.

In your smaller helis, if you remove the tail fin, you'll see there holes, and two on either side have screws going through them, third one I think looks through that hole and tell you that you are in the ballpark of the 90 degrees.

I don't use it, you can just eye ball the fin to the main frame.

Hope it makes sense, you are not missing anything. Don't worry. Now about the back plate... I don't know what you are talking about, would you be able to post a pic of the plate and the stripped screw.

Stripped screws are trouble. You will be able to fly if its tight. If its "loose" and it's in the head.... DON'T FLY. Lol

itonkatom1

not "back plate" i said brake plate brake plate.jpg I think this is how i send u the pic. The brake plate at the top of the main rotor head. let me know if you could see the pic of it I sent u.

brake plate.jpg

Lee

its called the head button. and its not important. many people fly without them. my 500 doesn't have it on. its like a fender on a car if you crash upside down it gives a little protection to the head.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Nope... Dot worry nothing on top the head yoke is different. No matter which company your heli is. :) like
Lee said, even I don't have it on one of my heli ...

It's cosmetic more than anything. ;)

You can even remove it. You'll be ok. :)

Tony

Staff member
It's called a Brake Plate because you can use your hand to slow the rotor head down on that button. Like Lee said, many of us have lost them in a crash and don't even run them anymore. some heli's like the mcpx don't even come with them. You will do fine without it.

Top Bottom