450 Bouncing 450?

leedude1

Hey Rodney, how you been sir?

Thanks, your throttle comment got me thinking :scratchchin: and ultimately found what I think is/was the problem. As I mentioned I would have most likely seen a similar type altitude drop with my others birds if this was my flying tendency so I didn't think I was slowing down although it was possible I was doing it subconsciously.

Your throttle question got me to do a double check my throttle curve settings though and I noticed that in fact in idle up #1 I had it all set at 85 85 80 85 100.. :bitchslap: I had somehow set mid stick at a lower head speed so while making those turns, every time I dropped my sticks from one range to another 85-80, (evidently more so when I turn clockwise, and usually is with the wind) I was loosing power and air (double whammy) ...of course I would have to get back though the stick range and have the head speed get back up as well which were my "recoveries" and this then explains what I considered to be a lot of additional required stick movement to get it back up and the altitude corrected.
I didn't noticed this when doing pyros while hovering as my head speed and altitude would not change as I was only applying rudder input for the most part.

I haven't flown it after making my radio throttle corrections (minus 6 here today and a lot of wind) but I'm pretty confident my stupidity was to blame and we will be good to go. :thumbsup:

Let you know once I get her back up. thanks for the direction my man

trainrider06

Hey Rodney, how you been sir?

Thanks, your throttle comment got me thinking :scratchchin: and ultimately found what I think is/was the problem. As I mentioned I would have most likely seen a similar type altitude drop with my others birds if this was my flying tendency so I didn't think I was slowing down although it was possible I was doing it subconsciously.

Your throttle question got me to do a double check my throttle curve settings though and I noticed that in fact in idle up #1 I had it all set at 85 85 80 85 100.. :bitchslap: I had somehow set mid stick at a lower head speed so while making those turns, every time I dropped my sticks from one range to another 85-80, (evidently more so when I turn clockwise, and usually is with the wind) I was loosing power and air (double whammy) ...of course I would have to get back though the stick range and have the head speed get back up as well which were my "recoveries" and this then explains what I considered to be a lot of additional required stick movement to get it back up and the altitude corrected.
I didn't noticed this when doing pyros while hovering as my head speed and altitude would not change as I was only applying rudder input for the most part.

I haven't flown it after making my radio throttle corrections (minus 6 here today and a lot of wind) but I'm pretty confident my stupidity was to blame and we will be good to go. :thumbsup:

Let you know once I get her back up. thanks for the direction my man

Good deal! Heck you mighta just when setting that heli up clicked it while going on to the next setting is probably why it was at 80.

leedude1

Yeah not sure how but managed to pull a stupid there.. anyway I still haven't been able to give her a go but I will check in with you once I do.:wink:

holtneil

Hi mate a drop is common when doing banked turns , as you travel forward you get transcendental lift which is clean air hitting the rotor blades gives lift as you bank and your speed drop off you heli will start to loose lift you need to increase collective pitch and elevator to balance the heli , this is why they are hard to fly , once you master if your be able to long banked turns with no height drop.
Also wind does not help as you fly in to wind even if you cant feel it the heli will lift ( transcendental lift again) and as you turn so the wind is behind the heli it will drop loss of lift
watch this video the first turn shows drop but after that I balance pitch and elevator to stop the drop , fly on a fixed head speed this will help with control as you just flying on pitch not a throttle pitch mix ( full size helis only fly on pitch )
This on a governor head speed
Align 500 Cobra late evening flight - YouTube
This one the is on a fixed RPM mode and head speed has been changed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2B2EJB3ASw

Last edited:

Lee

Well blow me down with a feather duster :D
You are right.
I have always heard it referred to as Transitional lift, when transitioning from forward flight to level flight.
You learn something new every day :)

Stambo

Well blow me down with a feather duster :D
You are right.
I have always heard it referred to as Transitional lift, when transitioning from forward flight to level flight.
You learn something new every day :)

Me too, when I Google searched for transitional it sent me translational instead. :)

leedude1

Well the explanations all make sense guys. I knew there something going on as I never had trouble maintaining a reasonable altitude with the 130, the 180 or 150s...this seemed to be really bird specific and I was really confident in my mechanical set up being spot on.. (being anal with these details at least helps to quickly eliminate that aspect from the equation) and seeing as how it was was happening only with the 450 the throttle question by Rodney gave me either my thumbs or radio set up as being faulty..

Still haven't been able to get out and put the TX changes to the test but Im feeling really confident on the fix at this stage.

Hotneil that is one real nice scale bird you have there sir. Thank you for the visual aid its very much appreciated.

Heliman450

Hi all, I followed the Wikipedia link to read up on the subject, just for edification like. D.O.G. have you checked out your 450 for XS weight? Explosives etc.? LoL, great that it seems to be all sorted now.

holtneil

Hi Guys your have to forgive me and blow me down with the same feather , been on nights for weeks and only getting less than 4 hours sleep between shifts , but as long as you guys know what I was talking about makes me happy

Stambo

Hi Guys your have to forgive me and blow me down with the same feather , been on nights for weeks and only getting less than 4 hours sleep between shifts , but as long as you guys know what I was talking about makes me happy

I'm kinda sorry I started that now, it ended up hijacking your thread a bit.
But yes we all knew what you meant. :D

sprevin

Well not like trainrider06 twitching heli, my suddenly started bouncing up and down for no reason. I change everything beside the motor. I have no idea but maybe someone might have any suggestion. PB280045 - YouTube she fly's if you like a bouncing heli.:yuck:

Is it possible there is an issue with rx interference? if so, the interference would definitely effect the esc causing rise and fall of elevator control.

leedude1

Well I finally got her out and the changes to the idle up speed and flying the circuits a tad little faster are providing me with what I consider to be normal flight and being more conscious of the possible drop when turning away from the wind allows me to better compensate.

All the best in the new year folks.

Top Bottom