450 Blade pitch

Wanaero

I would like to know what is the best blade pitch for a 450 heli in normal mode. I know that in idle mode you're suppose to have it at 11 to -11 for 3d flying.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
normal mode blade pitch is a matter of choice.. usually for normal forward flights, you dont need more than may be 9 degrees. But setting it up once for 3D will give you about 0-+11 in normal mode and -11 to 11 in idle up. Again its a matter of choice.. but this is what i did too... tuned mine for 3D ans started on normal mode only never touched the idle up switch till recently.. :)

also having a little extra pitch helps you get out of stalls / falls better, cause it will push more air down helping it to recover from a mistake and kind of stabilize it.. ..

Last edited:

Lee

You set up the helicopter mechanically to give you around +- 11 degrees pitch.
Then you set up your radio to give you what pitch you desire.
Normal mode should be around 45% 48% 50% 75% 100% which translates to pitch of -1 or 2 at low stick to hold the heli down while spooling up, especially if its windy, up to +11 at full stick.
With a Throttle curve of around 0, 45, 60, 80, 80 your hover throttle is 80%. This will give you a smooth heli, no bouncing up and down, as the throttle will be steady while only the pitch changes.
These settings are not written in stone. You can adjust them to suit your heli and style. But its a good starting point.
Hope this helps

Wanaero

I set my normal throttle curve at 0,25,50,75,100

Did a flight test last week and the heli jump up really high and of course it went left and south really fast. Must be something not set properly. Luckily i was able to control it and land safely. But not without breaking the skids.

Tony

Staff member
I agree with what Lee has posted. I don't run that throttle curve though. My throttle curve is linear.

Wanaero

It was with the training gear that my skid broke. I am thinking of buying a Gorilla skids. Read from many forum that they are indestructable? Is this true?

Tony

Staff member
The training gear that i used and really like, and support, is what hobbypartz and xheli sells. It's carbon fiber and it flexes. If this training gear that you are talking about is the one with wooden dowels, I do not suggest it cause it's more rigid than the CF gear. I want the heli to "bounce" when you have to chop the throttle, and I want there to be some give when you have a "less than perfect" landing. Such as on one of the balls. that one leg will flex and allow two other legs to touch and it will set the heli down softer than if you had a "less than perfect landing" with wooden dowels and having the dowels jar the heli. I have never broken training gear, or skids using the CF. Others have, but I'm thinking there were some other forces in play other than a dropping helicopter. I have hand dropped my helicopter from 7' and it alwyas landed upright. I have also had it over 10' and chopped the throttle with the same result. Hope this helps in your decision.

Wanaero

Wow.. Didn't know that training gear has a carbon fibre type. Mine is a cheap plastic with sponge ball ends type. Will search xheli for your type and try on my heli. Thank you for the recommendation.

Lee

I set my normal throttle curve at 0,25,50,75,100

Did a flight test last week and the heli jump up really high and of course it went left and south really fast. Must be something not set properly. Luckily i was able to control it and land safely. But not without breaking the skids.

Exactly the reason for a fixed throttle from hover point up to full stick., so you're not changing two things at once.

Wanaero

I've set the transmitter as what is posted and recommended by all of you. Now all is left is for me to test flight it. Hoping for the best...

Will post the outcome in a few hours...

Wanaero

Wow!!! Thank you all for the setting!! I tried my hover without training gear and it did exactly like you all said... Although the motor was revving really hard at 3/4 stick(i thought it did not want to lift off) and finally it lift off perfect. What's left to do is controlling it. Can't believe i got it to hover in just 3 flights but the landing is still bad.. Haha

Again thank you guys!!

Tony

Staff member
Good deal, glad that we could help get you in the air. The training gear that I was talking about will help out a lot on those landings.

Top Bottom