Blade mCP-X Brushless Conversion

Tony

Staff member
Okay guys, I know I as a couple days late on uploading this, but i have been hella busy lately. I decided that I would do it tonight when I got home from work, and I did. This is the walk through of the mcpx brushless conversion. There is a reason I didn't push the item and where I got it from, mainly because they sell you old stock when they have new stock listed on their site, and their return policy is pure crap. But what do you expect from a company like that. Hell, look at hobbyparts and hobbyking lmao.

Anyway, here is the video of the brushless conversion. I didn't get the maiden on video, but I did get a video from this last weekend, adn it was about the same, but in more wind lmao. And, it will show that you actually can blow out the tail even on this setup lmao. Have a watch and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpW0mXD1iME

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Tail blow out in this setup. That's insane tony.. I mean I know my esc is flashed but the power plant is the same essentially. You have seen ms fly. Since I went brushless , collective management has gone to the gutter. I pump it just for fun all the time.. And I have 100percent pitch throw. I have not yet seen a tail blow bud. I am telling you...

The amount of wires , connectors and all in the midddle make a lot of difference. I read up on it way way Back. By direct soldering the stuff on the board and not using the given connectors, and not having extra wiring, using deans, and a better battery, the power out of this system changed drastically.

The stock battery connectors have way too much internal resistance and so do the connectors that the BL motor and esc have for this plug and play setup.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Lol and I watched the video. Good explanation.

BUT.. No, the Flashing Is not for not having to deal with the Steve.. Lmao.. ;) I have added more weight than just that Steve by all the upgrades. So no that's not it.. Flashing helps in:

Putting a governor on your motor , making it manage the available power better, this conserving the power where it can and supplying that extra power to the tail.

Also. The head speeds.. I can program my esc now from my tx, and make it produce more power or headspeed. The esc itself now has a PID gain control. Because the governor is like a gyro now, it helps to maintain headspeed and tail motor speed. I can adjust the gains by changing those pid values.

I never EVER, have heard my mcpx bog any more.. I have 100 percent throws on my pitch and my elevator and ailerons. I give it no mercy in stick banging, the power is just handled so much better.

Also I can have soft starts abd not loose the bird to tip overs every tone I start on a softer surface.

So there..,that's why you get the esc flashed. There might be other reasons, but I just tell these from my experience. :) the ones I can stand behind. Heehee.

Also you don't always have to get it flashed by sending. Astroid designs offers this service as an add on to your cart when you get esc.. So you can do the rest of the install.

Again, get rid of all those plastic thin pin connectors. Solder everything straight to the board (esc,Steve,or main board), I have read a million posts on people experiencing tremendous difference.

Lee's issue of head not spooling up, (I will post there too) also has been accounted many times to too much power loss in the wires and giving the head a bump of your hand or a kick start makes it go.. I'll tell him to try that too.. ;)

This is all is my highest opinion. :) you can disagree.. Lol :D

Tony

Staff member
I think Gaba needs some Gaba Calm... The wires show no resistance, meaning there is no voltage drop from the extra wires. I like knowing I can unplug this system and put the stock motor back in if I was to sell it. The battery is heating up really nice when everything else is pretty much cool to the touch, so I know the battery is the weak link in the chain, not the plugs or wires. The tail blow out was on a very windy day, wind caught it, I gave it full collective and full forward cyclic to pull out of it, and the tail moved 90º. Not really a blow out, but enough to move the tail. It's still a lot more head speed, more control, and more power than I had and I'm happy with it.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey. I am telling from what I have read again and again. Lol think about it from a circuit perspective.. More connectors, means more resistance. Also thinner wires and smaller connectors means more resistance . :)

I could be wrong. But man those people having issues with this kit, have resolved it by doing soldering and changing connectors. I have read on it for 3months until finally it was fool proof working. I knew itll work and I got mine. ;)

Lee

My motor is dead. I checked with a multimeter. I get readings from two of the wires but the third one has nothing?? HP5 i guess for me.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
nope my mcpx is up and running.. no issues. I was the problem there. I had modded my stock frame.. but had some parts that werent smooth.. and that made my gear mesh all bad..

and then, the way too much pitch issue was because i didint install the collar on the main shaft right. before i posted my pics, i hovered it, leveled the swash, did the center stick check for zero pitch.. and its all working ;)

thats when i also instaled the tail supports, and the frame cage .. :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
thats sucks lee.. i am not sure what the motor is supposed to read... but hey guess i will find out here :D

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, that does suck Lee. Trust me though, you will love the HP05 motor. but this time, don't cut any wires close to the motor lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, you were not the only one. I have a lighted magnifying glass that I had to use on this thing. Stuff was tiny.

Tony

Staff member
I actually have pretty stable hands when I'm not under stress lol. Actually, even when I was having to qualify for my license as a police officer, I never really shook.

Tony

Staff member
This heli can handle a bit more wind than you might expect. I have flown mine in up to 20mph winds, but I would suggest nothing over 10mph for a beginner pilot (not saying you are a beginner since I'm not sure lol). Welcome to the forum :welcome1:

BILLSON

ok so i got a bl conversion off ebay and it was working fine,,,, had a mild crash and carbon shaft snapped , replaced no prob and flew,,, then the tail spun out, i thought it was the rear blade spinning as it had no grip so i put on a kbdd one on, it is now not propotional and spins out every time i spool it up. whats going on? now i regret getting it because i have no idea how this all works? pls help? hve the gains been altered some how ? and how do i get it working again?

- - - Updated - - -

ok so i got a bl conversion off ebay and it was working fine,,,, had a mild crash and carbon shaft snapped , replaced no prob and flew,,, then the tail spun out, i thought it was the rear blade spinning as it had no grip so i put on a kbdd one on, it is now not propotional and spins out every time i spool it up. whats going on? now i regret getting it because i have no idea how this all works? pls help? hve the gains been altered some how ? and how do i get it working again?

Top Bottom