General Blade Dampers - Can I get an explanation?

Derek

I just got to thinking about Dampers on our rc heli's. Just like any other part, these need replaced periodically. They are cheap enough (at least they are cheap enough on my 3 Align heli's). But....

What is the purpose of these dampers?

I did a Google search for "RC Heli Blade Dampers" and I click on one of the search results that took me to another forum. I read the explanation for the necessity of the dampers but the entire conversation sounded very "rocket-science-ish" and I didn't understand much of what was being said. Perhaps I didn't understand it because I just got home from work and I'm tired but the point is...I didn't understand it, lol.

So...what do our experienced "RCH" heli pilots have to say about "dampers" so that I can understand their purpose?

Slobberdog

My view Derek it allows the use of a feathering shaft and helps aid dampening of sudden changes in cyclic pitch, all though the dampeners in dfc heads need to be very hard because of the stress at the dfc link pivot on the blade, it would bind if the dampeners are to soft or are failing

I know of only one heli that uses a rigid head and that is the warp, use on a bigger heli would mean an awful lot of stress on the head block component

stokke

The feathering shaft will bend during flight.
The dampener will soften the forces applied to the head during flight.
I exaggerated the bend quite a bit, but you get the gist of it :D

fs.jpg

Lee

Just think of it like dampers in a car.
Race cars have stiff dampers. This makes the feel very direct/responsive.
Good for those experienced people that can get the most out of there machine.
Not good for the average guy just cruising around. He'll feel every bump and twitch in the road.

Soft dampers will feel less responsive, but absorb those bumps and twitches, making things feel more comfortable, and less stressful.

Top Bottom