450 Blade chage

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I just broke my last set of 362mm blades for my X3. I know that you can fly, using 325mm blades but will I have to be careful of the headspeed increasing with the smaller blades? This is for the time being til my blades "362mm" comes in next week. Oh yeah, I love the X3 but this could be my next love :kiss: X3L Basic Kit(385L) | TSH GAUI

Tony

Staff member
You can run 325mm blades and you shouldn't have an issue. Just reduced lift, but not very much at all.

murankar

Staff member
Whats going to happen is your disk loading is going to increase. This means the heli will feel heavier on the sticks. It will be more suited for "Box flying" or smack 3d. Your cyclic response is going to feel a little less "floaty". As for head speeds you shouldn't have to change it. Get a feel of the heli before going inverted.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Whats going to happen is your disk loading is going to increase. This means the heli will feel heavier on the sticks. It will be more suited for "Box flying" or smack 3d. Your cyclic response is going to feel a little less "floaty". As for head speeds you shouldn't have to change it. Get a feel of the heli before going inverted.

Thank you URI. You are so right! I tried it out this morning and everything you said is exactly the way you describe it.:wavey: I'll fly like that for awhile and get the "FEEL" for it. LoL Plus it's nice to have back up blades that you can use.

murankar

Staff member
I have a google doc to figure out disk loading. I am not sure if it works though.

It appears to be working. Once you ad in your measurements then wait a few seconds for the sheet to update. Not eve sure if you will be able to get to the sheet, it is public. Let me know if you choose to use it.

Head radius for the X3 is 89 and I used 1.08KG for a ready to fly weight. This is with 4S packs.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Rx37ztCa4fYK4eKIierPcqROk/edit#gid=1905966834

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I have a google doc to figure out disk loading. I am not sure if it works though.

It appears to be working. Once you ad in your measurements then wait a few seconds for the sheet to update. Not eve sure if you will be able to get to the sheet, it is public. Let me know if you choose to use it.

Head radius for the X3 is 89 and I used 1.08KG for a ready to fly weight. This is with 4S packs.
Helicopter Calculator - Google Sheets

Thanks again URI. Very helpful information. I did another flight, just goofing around, I like the 325mm blades better then the 362mm blades. It fits my tight area where I fly and it respond quicker then the 362mm blade. I have a few more batteries to burn up. Maybe after dinner, weather permitting, I use them up and hopefully do a video. Thanks again URI, Tony! I always appreciate the help from everyone.

murankar

Staff member
To really see the difference I recommend doing 2 minutes on one size then change them and fly for 2 more minutes. You'll really notice just how different it is. Plus knowing this you'll learn how to set the heli up for different fields. It tight places then increase disk loading, and in open areas lighten the disk loading.

One thing I forgot. The higher the number the more heavy the heli will feel.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
To really see the difference I recommend doing 2 minutes on one size then change them and fly for 2 more minutes. You'll really notice just how different it is. Plus knowing this you'll learn how to set the heli up for different fields. It tight places then increase disk loading, and in open areas lighten the disk loading.

One thing I forgot. The higher the number the more heavy the heli will feel.

I almost found out the hard way :damnit: I forgot about the heli feeling heavier when I was coming out of a small loop:hmmm:. Mother nature was trying to pull the heli to the ground while I was fighting her from the heli NOT hitting the ground :twak:. I got lucky this time and won. :chuckles:

Smoggie

I generally prefer to run the largest blades that the heli will take. The longer blades give a much more floaty feel and allow lower headspeed without loss of collective 'punch'. Smaller blades running higher headspeeds give more snappy response but I'm not really a 'snappy' type of flyer.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I generally prefer to run the largest blades that the heli will take. The longer blades give a much more floaty feel and allow lower headspeed without loss of collective 'punch'. Smaller blades running higher headspeeds give more snappy response but I'm not really a 'snappy' type of flyer.

As soon as my 362mm blades come in next week, they will be back on the X3. I seen that the X3 can use 325mm so since I had a few set of blades i decided to give it a try. It's just temporary. I do like running low headspeed and I like the floaty feeling you get from the big blades like you mention. The snappy response with the little blades works fine for the tight area I fly at. I have the 450 to be snappy with.

Top Bottom