500 Blade 500 X and battery

FF781

Me again . Just set down to start setting up my blade 500 X. But when I went plug the battery in I got an ark. Is this a problem.

Thanks

Dave

Derek

That is normal! 100% normal! My Trex 500 "pops" each and everytime I plug it in.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, when you get up into the 10-12s batteries, you get a really good arc. The arc is caused by the battery instantly charging the capacitors on the ESC. The reason you don't really see it with a 450 is because the voltage is much lower, and the caps are much smaller. There is still an arc, just not like there is with 22.2v-44.4v. Completely normal.

Derek

Yeah, that POP is a bit intimidating at first. No worries! I plugged in my 12S Trex 600 last week for the first time. It sounded like a bomb went off, lol. Have fun with your 500x. I hope you share some flight video!

FF781

Ok I have another question on the batter charging. On my charger I have a fast charge and a normal charge option. I under stand what amps to charge at but what about the volts. Do I leave it at 22.2 for the 6s packs and 11.1for the 3s packs?

Oh and I hovered the 500x for one batter cycle, so far it like it. . There are some things that are way different than my 450 3d. I will post some things later on

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry went in the wrong thread.

FF781

Hello there. I have run into another issue. I just got done with a second flight on a brand new battery. When I plug it into my charger it is only reading 5 out of 6 cells. When I put my cell tester on it it shows all cells good with the lowest cell at 3.14 volts. What do I do.

Thanks
Dave

Tony

Staff member
Are you saying that your charger is only showing 5 cells, but your cell checker is showing 6? If so, and you have a warranty on your charger, you need to return it. If no warranty, open it up and look at the traces on teh balance board. I will bet you have one that is burnt. Happened to me. Check out the link below to see what yours may look like.

B6AC charger with burnt trace. Need New Charger Suggestions!!

FF781

My charger is new. I forgot to put in the post that I put my other pack on and it seems to be charging fine.

Tony

Staff member
You could have one of the metal pins in the batteries plug that is just a little too wide. try wiggling it and see what happens.

FF781

I put the pack on my factory eflight charger for about 20mins and it balance out the cells put it back on my other charger and seems to be doing fine.

pvolcko

3.14v is pretty low. I'd fly it a minute or two less per flight. Aim for 3.5-3.7 per cell after the flight.

Ken Jackson

My charger does that sometimes. Shows only 5 cells instead of 6. I always watch the pins when plugging it in. But I'll let it charge for 5 minutes looking at the individual cells to make sure they are all bouncing around. Then I'll stop the charge and restart it and it shows 6. I just consider it a glitch. But if its under warranty send it back.

Ken

pvolcko

3.14v per cell is very low. Depending on the charger, it may decide cell count by guessing at the number based on total pack voltage as opposed to how many balance pins it detects voltage on. 3.14v/cell is a total voltage of 18.8v. If the charger is looking for a nominal voltage of 3.7v/cell on a lipo pack then it is going to see 18.8v as 5.09cells and likely is thinking it is a 5 cell pack instead of six. IF you don't already you may want to try hooking up the balance lead first to the charger to see if that will force it to use that circuit for cell number detection, instead of the main charge lead.

And again, I would not run the pack down that low. Running it that low means you were likley drawing aroudn 2.9v under load, which is enough to damage the cells. If you aim for 3.5-3.7v idle voltage after use that will mean you can be running it hard to the end of the flight without being in danger of hitting low voltage cutoffs or damaging the cells and that voltage level should put you in that 70ish% total discharge range, which is recommended for maintaining battery life.

Ken Jackson

I was taught to use the milli amp hour method. If your running a 2650 then you should only use up 2120. So when your battery is done charging you should almost never go over 2120 that went back into the battery. Hope that makes sense. Using this method I generally end up around 3.8 volts after flight. I only get a 5 minute 10 second flight time. Suppose I should look into that but I'm happy with how it flies and less flight time isn't necessarily a bad thing. After 6 minutes your crash probablilty goes up, LOL.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

So if your using a different milli amp hour the number you use is 80%. So a 2200 mAh battery shouldn't take more then 1760 mAh.

Derek

Yeah, I think that "80% Rule" is what a lot of here go by. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Top Bottom