450 Blade 450 spinning out of control, HELP!!!!

concept30

Hey Guys, I tried Rev the Gyro and the tail still spins out of control, I tried Rev the tail rotor but it still spins out of control, i tried moving the tail servo up and down the tail boom, still no success. Im just out of Ideas.

RMB677

If the tail is belt driven check the tension on the belt. If it seem tight check the belt drive gear, I had the plastic teeth wear on the small belt drive gear and had the same problem. Solved the problem by installing the aluminum upgrade.

EyeStation

I was thinking the same thing as RMB677. My belt driven Align 450 FB had this problem when I first acquired it. The plastic gear would stay put on the shaft when spinning at a stable RPM. But as soon as you try to rudder left or right, the extra tension would cause the gear to slip. Troubleshooting it on the bench was tough till it wore itself loose enough to finally slip with a spin of the main rotor by hand.

concept30

Thanks for the reply guys, I checked the belt gears and they are 100% working, I wonder what else it could be. could I have the rx plug in wrong?

EyeStation

Has this ever been running correctly? Just wondering if this is a new symptom.
I had issues with getting the tail correction going the right way. There is a good video from Lee here, that shows an easy check for your tail setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
The way Lee had the tail blades in that video is how yours need to be. When looking at the helicopter from the right, the tail blades must turn counter clockwise. follow that video above of Lee's to make sure your stick and gyro direction are correct.

concept30

i dont see how putting on the tail blades backwards is going fix my problem, im trying to up load a video but of course youtube is giving me problems, just letting yall know, maybe yall can see what the problem is.

cml001

No ur not the only one.. I still us my DX6i.. It's a good transmitter! I did notice that ur tail blades are not installed correctly and the rotate in the wrong direction. Your belt is most likely twisted. Watch Lee's tail set up video... He does a great job explaining how the tail works from servo to gyro etc. nice ferret btw! Wonderful animals... Fun to play with.

Last edited:

pvolcko

They are installed incorrectly and they are spinning the wrong direction.

When looking at the heli from the right side (looking at the tail shaft edge on), the tail blades should turn in a counter clockwise direction. To correct this you will need to put the opposite quarter twist in the tail belt. Secondly, you will have to change the tail blades such that the leading edge is facing in that counter clockwise direction. It looks like you will have to flip on axially (twist it by the end) 180 degrees. At 1:34 in the video you can see that the bottom blade is correct but the top is needs to be facing in the other direction.

Basically what is happening right now is that the one blade on in the wrong direction is nullifying the tail's thrust so the only thing acting on it is the torque of trying to spin the main blades. If you were to correct the wrong blade, it would still be spinning in the wrong direction so it will have the opposite corrective effect you are wanting.

Fix both of these first. This will get you to a good baseline tail rotor and belt setup. Next will be to get the tail servo located properly so that you have good movement in both the nose right and nose left rudder input directions and that it is neutral when the stick is neutral.

After that comes tail gyro setup to make sure it is correcting in the right direction in heading hold mode.

pvolcko

My mistake. Blade being on wrong will not result in a nullified tail thrust. That is not the root of the problem here. But getting it spinning in the correct direction is a problem. Fix the blade too, of course. Just not a critical problem.

Graham Lawrie

As they said above:) so as the slider moves the tail blades are moving inthe same direction also they look not to be centered but at an angle. Spooling up inside with main blades on is dangerous. I learnt the hard way. Especially in a confined space:)

Lee

Tail is def spinning the wrong way ad your blades are facing the wrong way. If you look at the picture in your signature you can see those white blades are on backwards too..
So do as Paul said. Twist the belt 180, then turn the blades around. Then use my video to determine the servo and gyro direction :)

Derek

Well, I think the other guys have gotten you started in the right direction, so I won't echo their comments. Just wanted to say that I still have my DX6i and I use it a lot with my smaller crafts and I use it for a buddy box setup when I take my wife out flying....sometimes my Dad and my cousin, too.

concept30

would i have to take the heli apart to twist the belt around or just twist the end of the tail around?? btw yea its small space but alot better the freezeing by going outside

Top Bottom