450 Blade 450 3D with Copterx fbl head

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone has done a fbl conversion on a b450 using a Copterx fbl head.

I've ordered one with a tarot zyx controller to upgrade my 450.

I'm gradually upgrading my heli, put new servos on the other day and it's much more responsive, the stock ones were a bit sloppy..

Any info on the fbl conversion will help

Happy flying
Tony

Lee

As long as your main shaft is the same diameter it should be quite straight forward.
Your swash links to servo should be already set from the FB head.
It will be just a case of fitting the head and adjusting the links provided to get the blade grips to 0º pitch at mid stick.
As for the ZYX its a while since I used one, maybe someone has some good settings for you.
I'll try to remember what mine were :D

Thanks Lee, the shop I'm buying the parts from said he has a lot of different shafts in, and if necessary he will machine one to fit the b450, so that's good news. I've seen a few vids on YouTube how to setup the zyx, never 2 the same...

I'd appreciate any setting you have if you can dig them out, looking forward to getting it fbl..

Thanks

Graham Lawrie

That's the problem doing the upgrade, as Lee said the shaft needs to be the same length:) On another one I did there was also an issue with the right one way bearing:)

What is your issue? Is it just the shaft?

That's the problem doing the upgrade, as Lee said the shaft needs to be the same length:) On another one I did there was also an issue with the right one way bearing:)

What is your issue? Is it just the shaft?

The swash is wrong type too, I'll need to use the stock one, but then I'll have to change the mixing arms or the balls on the stock swash as their too small for the new mixing arms

Nightmare this...lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here is some photos of the kit, all new stuff is blue..

image.jpg
Different swashplates

image.jpg
Shafts are different, so I'll have to use the stock one, but I will need to cut it I think as it doesn't go far enough into the head to get the bolt in

- - - Updated - - -

This is all the kit I got

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm cutting the stock shaft now so it fits in the Copterx head

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, the shaft is cut and now fits in the Copterx head..

image.jpg
Sizing up to find out how much to cut

image.jpg
Both the same now, tried cutting with dremel but easier with hacksaw, used dremel stone to clean edges up

image.jpg
Perfect fit in head, MUST remember to threadlock that nut, not doing it yet...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just lost a post here, try again

I've got a problem with the arms on the Copterx head, they don't fit the stock swash balls, the balls are far too small..

The stock arms are very short so I'm not sure there going to work if I changed them

My only solution I can think of is to take the balls off the new swash and put them on the stock one..

HELP !!!!
image.jpg

image.jpg

I've took the balls off the new swash and screwed them into the stock swash so the new links and arms fit..

If anyone thinks I'm doing something wrong then please please tell me....

image.jpg
Balls off the new swash on the stock one, red locktited in

image.jpg

Lee

Are the balls not the same size on both swashes??

Edit: missed the last post saying they were different :(

Last edited:

Graham Lawrie

As long as the ball threads are the same there should be no issues:)

The only concern I have is cutting the shaft? the sizes need to be spot on. You also need to make sure when you held it for cutting you did not bend it. This will become clearer at spool up if it is bent:)

As long as the ball threads are the same there should be no issues:)

The only concern I have is cutting the shaft? the sizes need to be spot on. You also need to make sure when you held it for cutting you did not bend it. This will become clearer at spool up if it is bent:)

Yes the threads were the same, they went in no probs and tightened up ok, put little drop of red locktite in the holes first on the threads so I didn't get any on the balls..

I just held the shaft whilst sawing so I'm hoping it's ok now... Lol, I should have rolled it on flat surface... Hmmm..as you say we will find out on spool up...

ive been trying to get this tarot zyx working most of the afternoon, and im really struggling, not even sure if its wired up properly although i have followed the instructions...

do you have to "Bind" the zyx to the Spektrum receiver in my Blade 450, if so how??

ive had it all setup and ran the pc software which communicated fine with the tarot, but when i move the sticks on the TX nothing happens on the heli

HELP !!!!!

Graham Lawrie

Head assembled, hopefully...lol

View attachment 12037

Need to extend the elevator servo wire to reach the zyx now....

- - - Updated - - -

No Lee different size altogether

if you look at this picture your blade holders are level. This is the zero position when you are at mid stick.

The main problem I see is that all the arms coming off it are not level.

You have to mechanically 90 degree everything at zero pitch before you can do it electronically:)

Hi Graham, I can't set mid stick as the tarot isn't responding to the tx, this is my main prob at the moment, I've started a new thread hoping someone sees it soon and has some resolution. I've been at it since this afternoon to no avail. Getting fed up now...lol

murankar

Staff member
I . Would rebind the tx to the rx with just the esc hooked up. Then re hook up the gyro to the rx. Ensure your wires between the gyro and rx are correct.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

I . Would rebind the tx to the rx with just the esc hooked up. Then re hook up the gyro to the rx. Ensure your wires between the gyro and rx are correct.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

I've tried that, didn't make any difference, I've got this thread in the 450 size heli forum Murankar

Still get all 3 lights on on power up, they don't ever go off..

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, it's in the Tarot zyx and spektrum RX thread, I put separately with it being more electronic setup

Thanks

My Blade 450 FBL conversion is ready for its maiden flight, going to put training gear on for first time, never flown a FBL before, I've heard you have to take that "leap of faith" and just get it off the deck... Ohhh dear..lol

image.jpg

Does everyone actually wait the recommended 24hrs for locktite to set, I put bladegrips together around 8:30pm last night, locktited the feathering shaft bolts...??

image.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

The having to get it into the air quickly is a 3GX flaw.
With most other units, you can just let it spool up and sit there.

Top Bottom