450 Blade 450 3d Heavy Cyclic Pull to the right

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Hi, Everyone! My heart was broken when I crashed this much beloved heli which gave me indescribable joy when I was able to get it up in the air for the first time. After nearly 6 months of delay, I final got it fixed but and it pulled hard to the right during hover and the tail hold is mushy even with same gyro gain and servo horn length.

Maxing out left cyclic trim did not fix it and I have checked the belt tension. During the rebuild I did try my best to balance the swash plate and changed out all broken parts. Please advice.

murankar

Staff member
I am guessing your on a 450 class heli.

The hard pull could caused by an unlevel swash. Check the linkages from the servos to swash.

Basically go through and completely redo the setup.

The tail check the servo and see if it works smoothly by hand. Check the tail out put shaft to see if it is straight. Check the blade grips for binding or "ratcheting" feel.

Re-oil all the bearings and grease the thrust bearings. Tony has a quick tip on doing the bearings.

When you have a bad crash its best to go through and redo everything. It will ensure everything is good.

Let us know what you find.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Thank you! I will go back and check the swash. As for the tail blades how tight do you think they should be?

murankar

Staff member
Just tight enough to move about 45 degrees when flicked lightly. t least that's how I have mine and the hold rather well.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like your swash is unlevel. I would go through the whole setup process on the head. From mid stick in idle up (motor UNPLUGGED!), then 90º the servo arms to the links, set yoru link lengths to factory specs then go through the 0º pitch at mid stick and 10º pitch both positive and negative.

The link below is for a FBL head, but you can use it to help set yoru head up. You can also check out the RcHelpDotCom YouTube channel for multiple head setup videos.

stokke

Hey buddy. Sound like an unlevel swash, or a servo not working correctly.

See the HOWTO link in my sig, if you need a reference :D Good luck

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Thank you, gentlemen. The problem has been solved. The swash plate was indeed tilted to the right.

When I was checking the pitch range, I noticed that the heli only has only 3.5 degrees of cyclic pitch. The swash mix parameters were set to factory specs (-80,-80,-56 for Ail, Ele, and Pitch respectively). Is this normal?

I haven't been flying flybar helis for a while, so I kind forget how it is supposed to behave. Is possible a flybar heli to hover still in the air without any input corrections even just for a couple second, given that it is mechanically sound?

Derek

The swash mix on my 500 is set to 60,60,60. I dunno what kind of differences there would be between my 500 and your 450, but I just wanted to share that.

Tony

Staff member
Make sure when you are checking the cyclic pitches, you are doing it with 100% throw and your DR is turned offf.

Lee

I haven't been flying flybar helis for a while, so I kind forget how it is supposed to behave. Is possible a flybar heli to hover still in the air without any input corrections even just for a couple second, given that it is mechanically sound?

In completely still air, if you can get the heli to fly at its perfect balance point yes. But in general with outside influences and your stick inputs, its hard to get t stationary.

Top Bottom