General Black Helicopter Main Gears

Derek

I've seen a few videos, recently, and people have these black main gears. I've seen them on 450's and a 600. I was just looking at the Align site and I didn't see any black gears there. I may have overlooked them...it's quite possible.

Is there a reason for the black gears? Are they better/stronger than the white gears or is it just a cosmetic thing?

Tony

Staff member
I don't think there is any difference in teh main gears. The tail gears however, are stronger in teh black.

pvolcko

I found the black main gear on the 700E to be higher tolerance. It had far less wobble than the white gear. I had a bit more heft in feeling, didn't actually measure it. I believe it is stronger, too, like the black tail gears. When I stripped one out (bad pinion mesh) it almost seemed to have a fiberous substrate at the spots teeth stripped off of it. Not CF or Kevlar, but something a bit stringy in appearance.

Derek

any ideas on where to get these black gears for a 450, 500, and a 600? or just a place that I could view them?

Thanks!

Derek

Once again, Tony! You have failed to disappoint me, lol. I didn't even think to check A Main Hobbies. Thanks for that!!!

Sparse

amain has the black gears. they only have the main one. i do not think they made them for the auto rotation. the balck one are stronger from the white gears. its considered an upgrade, as per the conversation i had with my bud at my lhs.

Derek

Thanks for commenting, Sparse! I'll surely be ordering a few in the near future.

Sparse

yeah there not expensive either, you can order them in sets of threes if you want. For like eight bucks i think.

Derek

I was just looking at the gear on A Main Hobbies. They have the black gears for the 450, 500, and 600. For the 450, I think I saw a 3 pack. The 500 was a two pack and the 600 was singles. I'll order some of each.

Top Bottom